'Flandrien' of 2013

FJS
FJS Posts: 4,820
edited October 2013 in Pro race
After some discussion in another thread, who do you think came closest to being a 'Flandrien' in 2013?

Some nominations:
- Cancellara for winning the cobbled classics that matter
- Adam Hansen for being a tough, dependable hard worker completing all 3 GTs again and winning a cold rainy stage in the Giro
- Ciolek for winning a monument through the snow and rain-soaked ToB stage
- Nibali for winning in the snow on the Tre Cime in the Giro, taking the Tirreno on that rained-out stage, and working his socks off for a home audience at the Worlds after having come back after crashing
- Sep Vanmarcke for actually being Flemish and riding an attacking race and almost winning Paris-Roubaix
- Jurgen Roelants for actually being Flemish and riding an attacking race in the Flemish race that really matters

Any others? Who gets your vote?

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Apparently the Belgium`s gave the title to Froome :roll:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/van-ave ... ear-prizes
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Canc or Nibbles for me, although if it were nt for the worlds, Froome is not a bad shout...

Who was the little polish guy from OPQS in the white jersey fight with Quintana, he was a plucky guy too?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • How about Zdenek Stybar as another nominee?

I'm biased because Ciolek is my favourite rider, but my vote goes to him. Obvs MSR, but also that ToB stage seemed so unsuited to a 'sprinter' and again in 'EPIC' conditions.

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • ddraver wrote:
    Who was the little polish guy from OPQS in the white jersey fight with Quintana, he was a plucky guy too?

Michal Kwiatkowski.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    ddraver wrote:

Michal Kwiatkowski.

Yeah 'im

Can I nominate him for the white jersey Flandrien?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Apparently the Belgium`s gave the title to Froome :roll:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/van-ave ... ear-prizes

I know. I mean, what do the Belgians know about cycling?

Give it a rest, Frenchie.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    When grown men were in tears and some great Belgian 'hardmen' quit.

Bildschirmfoto-2013-03-18-um-12.51.10.png
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Yeah, of course, Sagan. Up there. Although, a bit 'flashy' for a Flandrien, not?

Rui Costa has been prolific in bad weather this year: that rained out stage in the Alps, the Worlds. Don't know what he does on cobbles... It's not been a bad year for bad-weather-riders.

Cancellara still gets it for me; next to the cobbles win a 3rd in that San Remo seals it.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Another nomination for Stybar here. Great cross rider, showing promise in the Northern classics and riding on a Belgie team so pretty much perfect Flandrien material.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Canc. Did the cobbled double double.

Froome gets an honourable mention for exhibiting all qualities of Flandrian in a stage race (except in worlds - but I forgive him that since Canc was barely better)
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Pross wrote:
    Another nomination for Stybar here. Great cross rider, showing promise in the Northern classics and riding on a Belgie team so pretty much perfect Flandrien material.
    The new Andrei Tchmil, perhaps
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    10354798445_01cbb4039c_b.jpg

10354814784_14761d41bd_b.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest