In a pickle - do I get a new bike?

nawty
nawty Posts: 225
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
Apologies in advance for the long post, I'm just musing out loud really but would appreciate your thoughts...

My work offers a GREAT ride to work scheme - we can get up to £3k and I'll get 53% off that through tax/NI/work contributions, only thing is it must be through Evans but at this time of year they do big discounts which I get on top of the 53%! Last year I took advantage of this and bought myself a swanky road bike and have been enjoying that all year but winter is approaching and I fancy doing some MTB riding.

In preparation to this I bought myself a 2nd hand MTB through the classifieds here with the aim of doing a bit of riding before my decision time came on getting a more expensive bike. I've not done as much riding as I'd have liked due to illness but I do like the ride (first ever suspension bike!) and have a few bigish rides coming up that should be a good tester. The bike I bought is a Sintesi Hale Bopp which may be old BUT it is lightweight 7005 alu built with 27sp XT/Deore components and weighs in at 27.5lb on my scales including pedals etc.

So, as the time to chose is approaching I've been looking at what new bike to get and to be honest I'm a bit 'meh'. To get a lighter hardtail with similar spec it seems I'll need a bike in the £1500+ category which seems a lot for a hardtail that won't realistically give me much more than I already have. I could go for a full-susser but I don't really know if I'll need one and it seems you have to spend a LOT to get a decent one (would probably use up all the £3k budget!).

Add to this the 26" vs 29er argument and I'm even more confused, especially as I'm 5'7' which I understand is on the cusp of a 29er being too big. I guess a 650B would be ideal but they seem rather thin on the ground at the moment.

So what do I do?

Skip the scheme this year and ride the Sintesi until I'm much more experienced and then get a new bike next year, maybe a 650B as there will be more choice. I could always get some better wheels/forks to upgrade in the meantime.

or

Take advantage of the scheme and buy a swanky new bike anyway, but if so what one?

Sorry for the ramblings but any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated :)
Cannondale CAAD 10 Ultegra
Kinesis Racelight Tiagra

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    N+1. Obviously.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • See if you can get on a demo 29er anywhere before calling that whole category of bikes as too big...
  • stuisnew
    stuisnew Posts: 366
    You don't need to spend £3k to get a 'decent' full susser!
  • nawty
    stuisnew wrote:
    You don't need to spend £3k to get a 'decent' full susser!

Maybe not, but seeing as a £3k bike would cost me less than £1500 it seems daft to go and get a Rockrider for £1k. Any suggestions on what to look at would be appreciated :)

N+1, yes but I already have 4 bikes and not enough room (and a wife!) :lol:

29ers - I'm not writing them off but also I work with marketing so am careful about what hype I buy in to. Given that they have only been around a short while and now 650B is the latest greatest thing there seems to be enough doubt to hold off. Besides, if I want to ride fast I'll ride on the road!
    Kinesis Racelight Tiagra
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    nawty wrote:
    Seeing as a £3k bike would cost me less than £1500 it seems daft to go and get a Rockrider for £1k.
    Hmm that sounds unlikely as it's not possible to be a 40% tax and 11% NI payer at the same time, it's also neglecting and payments at the end of the years lease, either FMV or extended hire period (which in my opinion should be taxed as a benefit in kind and there is a possibility that will be enforced).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nawty
    The Rookie wrote:
    nawty wrote:
    Seeing as a £3k bike would cost me less than £1500 it seems daft to go and get a Rockrider for £1k.
    Hmm that sounds unlikely as it's not possible to be a 40% tax and 11% NI payer at the same time, it's also neglecting and payments at the end of the years lease, either FMV or extended hire period (which in my opinion should be taxed as a benefit in kind and there is a possibility that will be enforced).

The chap who negotiated the deal also persuaded Evans to put 7.5% in AND then persuaded our employers to pay back in the scheme the NI that they were saving on it. Apparently it is the best deal in the country, certainly through Evans.

For example, here's a 2013 BMC Trailfox (no idea if it's a good bike), available in my size and now £2000 reduced form £3000. No idea if it's a good bike though.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bmc ... e-ec043687

I would be getting it for around £1000

Seems daft not to do it really...
    Kinesis Racelight Tiagra
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    And the payment at the end of the years lease?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nawty
    Is deducted throughout the next years tax if I remember correctly - can't remember the specifics but it wasn't overly arduous.
    Kinesis Racelight Tiagra
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So buy a bike. You're obviously a big boy and don't need approval from random strangers.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    N+1. Obviously.

This.
    cooldad wrote:
    So buy a bike. You're obviously a big boy and don't need approval from random strangers.

And This.

Go down to Evans and try a few, buy whichever one you like the best. Tbh, at £3k you're not going to get anything rubbish, unless Evans have started selling Orange now ;)

Runs away.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    . Tbh, at £3k you're not going to get anything rubbish, unless Evans have started selling Orange now ;)

Runs away.

Run up a hill, they won't be able to catch you then.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I grant you permission to buy a bike on the condition that it is 'bling'.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    yeah, get one. £1,500-£2k will get you a decent full suss.

I'd avoid the BMC. Trek Fuel EX or Norco Sight would be a decent place to start.
  • blinddrew
    blinddrew Posts: 317
    nawty wrote:
    Skip the scheme this year and ride the Sintesi until I'm much more experienced and then get a new bike next year, maybe a 650B as there will be more choice.

I'm going to be controversial and say this ^^^ as long as the scheme is likely to be around next year. By then you'll have done a load more off-road miles, probably have tried out a few mates bikes and also have a much better idea of the kind of riding you're likely to be doing on a regular basis.

Sorry! :wink:
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • nawty
    blinddrew wrote:
    nawty wrote:
    Skip the scheme this year and ride the Sintesi until I'm much more experienced and then get a new bike next year, maybe a 650B as there will be more choice.

I'm going to be controversial and say this ^^^ as long as the scheme is likely to be around next year. By then you'll have done a load more off-road miles, probably have tried out a few mates bikes and also have a much better idea of the kind of riding you're likely to be doing on a regular basis.

Sorry! :wink:

That would be the sensible thing to do, yes :) but when you consider I could probably break down and sell anything I buy for more than it cost me even after a year makes that sensible too :lol:

The way to satisfy the n+1 equation would be to get a full susser, that way I can keep the HT (and upgrade the forks :mrgreen: ) and get a new bike :mrgreen:

So, keep away from BMC? any others to steer clear of or recommendations to look at? unfortunately Evans don't do Giant (which I've seen recommended a few times).
    Kinesis Racelight Tiagra
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    chrisw333 wrote:
    yeah, get one. £1,500-£2k will get you a decent full suss.

I'd avoid the BMC. Trek Fuel EX or Norco Sight would be a decent place to start.

This, Personally BMC I find a bit.. Urgh
    You could get a cracking Trek Fuel or Remedy or a Norco at £3K
    They also stock Spesh which my not be to most cost effective but you'll get a solid bike with a good design
  • nawty

I have a bit of an aversion to Spesh, don't know why, just one of those things. Trek is fine and I've not heard of Norco so will take a look.
    Kinesis Racelight Tiagra
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    The Rookie wrote:
    And the payment at the end of the years lease?

Read up on how it works.