Cheap chinese light batteries

lbalony
lbalony Posts: 301
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
Got told today when complaining about my new lights battery, that it probably an old laptop battery. Bit of digging on the good old internet and it seems very true. Also they are made with no protection and should be charged in a lipo bag or advisable I should say.

Has any one had an exploding or one setting on fire?

Looking at an Open Light one now with 4 panasonic cells and 2 years warranty. Was thinking about Magic Shine battery but only got a 6 month warranty.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I only buy batteries from known legit UK sellers. Try Torchy on Ebay.
    http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/big_f_d_d&ssP ... 1543.l2533
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Do a Google search with "18650 exploding" and see what comes up - I've seen a few stories on the Internet, but never experienced it myself. What you need to find are batteries with built-in protection circuitry, and a charger that knows when to stop - both cost more than the cheap ex-laptop batteries, but then you can just plug them in to charge while you go to work.

Without the protective circuitry the cells will charge to capacity and then get hotter and hotter - eventually they can burst, which can be messy and probably dangerous. If there are any cases where something has caught fire, it's probably the charger that does.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Giraffoto wrote:
    Without the protective circuitry the cells will charge to capacity and then get hotter and hotter - eventually they can burst, which can be messy and probably dangerous.

...if the charger fails.

I run mine with a cheap mechanical timer so it always switches off, and I do now have one of those LIPO bags 'just in case'. But in the last three years my cells have never got even remotely hot.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    also be aware that the sending of LiPo batteries by post is not permitted.

so there is good chance they will be sent back.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Lithium ion (Li-ion) and Lithium polymer (LiPo) are two different types of battery - the former is more common in bike lights, the latter is more temperamental and can't be sent by post in one or two countries (the UK allows them, though). Either can burst when they get overheated, and the insides of both types are flammable.

18650s and ex-laptop batteries are generally Li-ion. The difference in price between a pair of cheap 18650s and a pair of Xtar or Panasonic ones is about £15, which really isn't too much compared with the effort of cleaning bits of burned battery off the ceiling
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er