Kings Cross to South Norwood

kevinharley
kevinharley Posts: 554
edited October 2013 in Commuting general
Hi,

I'm down in London in a couple of weeks for work. Arrive at Kings Cross, and was just going to get the tube across to South Norwood (my final destination), but then thought ... "why not cycle?"

I ride in a big city, but have never ridden in London before. The AA routemap says it is just over 10 miles, which is not a problem for me distance-wise, but just wanted advice from regular London commuters about what the journey from Kings Cross to South Norwood / Crystal Palace would be like, and how long it would take. Would be travelling 3pm / 4pm, and then returning 7/8pm.

Thanks

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I think you'd be fine. Got a GPS as Kings Cross could be a bit tricky if you don't know the way. Once you get down towards the Thames it will be pretty much plain sailing.

London's good fun to cycle in, although I've always got both hands ready on the brakes at all times.

Kings Cross
    Holborn
    Waterloo
    Embankment
    Vauxhall Bridge
    Stockwell
    Brixton
    Tulse Hill
    West Norwood
    South Norwood

Is the route I would take.
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    I'd probably do a route something like this:
    http://goo.gl/maps/aDH8q

College Road is OK, I think there is a toll booth on it so hardly any cars use it. There is a bit of a climb at the end of it coming up to Crystal Palace, but you can't really avoid climbing if you're going through CP. If you want to avoid the hill then chose a route that goes the long way round, either from Beckenham or from Selhurst directions.