New Bicycle bearing finding site needs your help

bobknocker
bobknocker Posts: 4
edited October 2013 in MTB general
http://www.thebearinghub.com is new database and forum set up to help track down which bearings are used for which components and includes sortable databases for cartridge bearing models, headsets by bearing model and a Head tube finder which to help you find which models of headsets fit your frame.

There are so many components out there now that use cartridge bearing but as most of the component manufacturers fail to list replacement bearing information on their sites its proving almost impossible for one man to collect all the information that's needed.

here is where you can help, if you know of or come across a resource detailing any components bearing spec info either email steve@thebearinghub.com or go to the site and enter the Hub, bottom bracket or headset info yourself, even if you only enter the specs of the bearings on your own bike that would be a great help, if you can give the site a like or share a link as well then even better.

it's a massive project which needs the users help, hopefully there are a few product managers out there that will jump on board and make the hunt for info a bit simpler.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Good luck with this - could be really useful. I found my headset, but my wheels (yet obviously).

Nicely set out as well.

Just a question - will there be any moderation if people add info? Idiots adding rubbish could stuff it up badly.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • This might be useful to you for a lot of Trek bearings: http://www.trekbikes.com.ua/doctrek/sus ... agrams.pdf
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Nice idea keep up the good work. Sent you an email with some bearing sizes for some Superstar hubs.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    suspended wrote:
    This might be useful to you for a lot of Trek bearings: http://www.trekbikes.com.ua/doctrek/sus ... agrams.pdf

Cheers for this. Just found the part number for a wee little nut I need for the Session.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Nukeproof have drawings with bearing part numbers on their website.
    Not sure I like the idea of any idiot being able to put up bearing details. There's too much risk of someone doing something like listing a single row instead of double row bearing, it might fit but there's a good chance it will kill your frame. Also a minor typo means people spending money on the wrong parts, you wont know until your frame is in pieces in the work stand.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Nice idea in theory, but in practice I wouldn't trust a database compiled from information from random members of the public to be accurate any more than I'd trust Wikipedia (as a recent example, just look at Winter Zombie's thread about his headset bearings, with one (presumably well meaning) member giving him a link to an incorrect bearing, just because it looks similar...
  • Hi, to put your minds at rest everything that's on there so far has come from manufactures websites or tecnical info, all submitted models information will be checked by me before they are ok'd, ideally most of the info should come from the manufacturer once there's enough up their for them to take it seriously, i'm contacting companies but replies are slow so if you know of any other industry people give them a poke.
  • cooldad
    I've bookmarked it - it'll come in useful one day.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Not sure if you want any commercial stuff on there, but this guy is a bearing geek, and sells kits etc for loads of different bikes. I bet he's got a lot of useful info - might trade it for a link or something.
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/katecbikes
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Thanks for all the info, keep it coming, for the frame bearing info i think i will just post links to manufactures tec info as with the trek stuff, there is a forum part of the site so there's a place for info to be requested and shared
  • Kowalski675
    bobknocker wrote:
    Hi, to put your minds at rest everything that's on there so far has come from manufactures websites or tecnical info, all submitted models information will be checked by me before they are ok'd,

That sounds like a different matter altogether then. As long as the info's accurate then it looks v useful.
  • Kowalski675
    cooldad wrote:
    Not sure if you want any commercial stuff on there, but this guy is a bearing geek, and sells kits etc for loads of different bikes. I bet he's got a lot of useful info - might trade it for a link or something.

Useful link there too, I've saved the seller. Cheers.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    cooldad wrote:

I wouldn't bother, his bearings are poor quality. You can get much better quality Koyo bearings online cheaper
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:

I wouldn't bother, his bearings are poor quality. You can get much better quality Koyo bearings online cheaper
    You've said this before, but IMHO they are not. And no one else seems to agree with you. And we all know how much BR people like to whine.
    You also get a whole kit, bushings, top hats etc, whatever is needed.
    Also not everyone has your encyclopaedic knowledge of bikes - find your model, buy a kit - simple.
    I'm a repeat customer, and I know a few others - no one has had a complaint, and so far in my Kona they've lasted as long as the stock bearings, and still going strong.

ps did I say the quality is good?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    cooldad wrote:

I buy all my MC bearings over the counter for cash at my local bearing factor (usually Koyo, since they're cheap and good quality, but the Koyo front wheel bearings I got last time were no good, so I had to get a different pair), so they'd be my first port of call.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001

Used Katec plenty of times now over the last 4 years for mine, mates and customers bikes and all the bearings I have fitted are still spinning smooth apart from the Maestro link bearings on a mates Giant Anthem and they are in the direct firing line of crud and rarely last more than 18 months no matter what make you use. The guy is a bit odd but he knows his bearings and gives out free advice if you ask.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap