Re-Build and Upgrade of Commencal hardtail

gregneedle
gregneedle Posts: 12
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys,

I have decided to do a rebuild on my old hard tail Commencal Combi disc. It's probably 5 years old and since I bought my trek ex6 it has been somewhat neglected. Now my Mrs is enjoying mountain biking, I think it would be an ideal bike for her to get started on.

I want to get it stripped back to the frame and re-build it, upgrading the parts to improve the bike in the process. This is also going to be a good learning process for me.

Firstly; My Trek is a much easier bike to ride than the commencal, I recall trying to do a trail on my commencal after owning my trek for 6 months and I was shocked how much harder work it was to ride.

My question is... How can I make it easier to ride? Is it down to weight? Quality of components? Is it just the fact the Trek is a better frame? I always notice how much wider the handlebars are on my trek, what's the relevance of this?

I know this is quite an open question(s), but I'm looking for guidance on where to start with the improvement of the commencal really.

I have attached a few images of it so you can see what we are dealing with....

Thanks in advance.... Greg

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And the current specs are?...
    Chunky heavy beast if I remember correctly.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • timbooth
    timbooth Posts: 160
    Weight is the biggest factor, but there are others. Tyres make a big difference. I have a Giant F/S touring bike and I swapped* the original OEM Shwalbes for after-market Continentals and it was like riding a different bike.

*(Note: I 'swapped', not 'swapped out' which is a ridiculous Americanism invented in 2006 and without any meaning other than the original 'swapped')