Coppers

daviesee
daviesee Posts: 6,386
edited October 2013 in Commuting chat
So. Coppers. Are they worth keeping?

No. Not that lot. Look at other threads.

I mean the coins.

Let's face it. You cant buy anything for 1p. or 2p, or even 3p.
They clog up your pockets and jars when you get home.
They cost the Mint a mint to produce and......

...heres the genius part -

While shops will want to round prices up they wont want to break the pound barrier so prices will come down.
99p becomes 95p.
If it becomes £1, so what?

As DDD would say, discuss.....
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    daviesee wrote:
    So. Coppers. Are they worth keeping.

I mean the coins.

While shops will want to round prices up they wont want to break the pound barrier so prices will come down.
    99p becomes 95p.

No he would ask the Mods if it was time to get rid of em.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    When I leave home the only coins I carry are 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p and £1. Copper and £2 go into seperate jars. Not sure how much is in the copper jar but the £2 jar now holds £140.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    My bank account is set to round everything up to the nearest pound, any change is put into a seperate savings account. There is a couple of hundred quid in there at the moment. I last pinched a bit over the summer holidays, I'll probably empty it with Christmas present buying. So for me it's a yes as it allows me to save a few pennies without feeling a pinch.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I have a massive pot of 1p, 2p and 5p's probably a £100 worth.

I also have a seperate pot of £1 that I use for saving for things (get home empty pockets and any £1 that i dont need for the next days coffee goes in the pot - i am giving up coffee so this may grow quicker).

I then have a third pot, that has any £2 coin that is a terramundi and is for the impending baby (aka isla bike fund - I do often put fivers in there as well).
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Ballysmate wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

I mean the coins.

99p becomes 95p.

He'd say that he never actually uses them, is aware that other people use them and like them, but he doesn't approve of them himself so they should be banned.

Anyway, daviesee has made a reckless claim - ie that you can't buy anything for 1p, 2p or 3p. I think that ought to be easily disproveable! :P
    Faster than a tent.......
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Rolf F wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

I mean the coins.

99p becomes 95p.

He'd say that he never actually uses them, is aware that other people use them and like them, but he doesn't approve of them himself so they should be banned.

Anyway, daviesee has made a reckless claim - ie that you can't buy anything for 1p, 2p or 3p. I think that ought to be easily disproveable! :P

Penny sweets FTW 8)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • daviesee
    arran77 wrote:
    Penny sweets FTW 8)
    Are they still available for less than 5p?

I wouldnt know as I have gone up market and only go for Belgian or Swiss chocolate these days.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Many a mickle makes a muckle as any proud (tight) Scot(ch)man would know. :D
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    daviesee wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    Penny sweets FTW 8)
    Are they still available for less than 5p?

I wouldnt know as I have gone up market and only go for Belgian or Swiss chocolate these days.

You've not been the same since you went to the Ambassadors Reception.....
    Faster than a tent.......
  • daviesee wrote:
    So. Coppers. Are they worth keeping?

I mean the coins.

99p becomes 95p.

Canada has stopped producing pennies. Prices weren't rounded (not least because the shelf price doesn't include sales tax - much like shopping in a builders' merchant over here - so there would have been little point rounding a price that you didn't pay).

At the till retailers were encouraged to round the total up or down tot he nearest 5 cents. Seems to have worked quite well.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    What the hell is up with the spelling of "separate" today?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    Veronese68 wrote:
    My bank account is set to round everything up to the nearest pound, any change is put into a seperate savings account. There is a couple of hundred quid in there at the moment. I last pinched a bit over the summer holidays, I'll probably empty it with Christmas present buying. So for me it's a yes as it allows me to save a few pennies without feeling a pinch.

What bank are you with? I would like to do something like this..
  • daviesee
    Rolf F wrote:
    I dont want to be reminded about that night. :shock:
    Anyway. Thats a seperate issue. :wink:
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    daviesee wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    I dont want to be reminded about that night. :shock:
    Anyway. Thats a seperate issue. :wink:

You are a terrible person. :D
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • TBH - I hate having coins in my pockets. All coins go into my jar at home, it holds around 140quid and gets emptied 3 to 4 months and the money goes towards spending money for holidays, toys (every man needs a few new toys from time to time)

I would be happy if we dropped coppers in favour of rounding down the prices.

From what I remember of being kid me and mates used to use coppers in our sling shots on my mums greenhouse, this happened once and very few panes of glass came away unscathed. However that couldn't be said for me and my mates, our respective parents gave a us the beats and made us pay for the replacement glass for starters
    The doctor said I needed to start drinking more whiskey. Also, I’m calling myself ‘the doctor’ now
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    The Dutch round everything you pay in cash for to the nearest 5c. I reckon the only reason they have the 1 or 2c coins is because other Euro countries don't round up. If you pay by card then you pay to the nearest penny. Again, works fine...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247

Canada has stopped producing pennies.
    At the till retailers were encouraged to round the total up or down tot he nearest 5 cents. Seems to have worked quite well.

When I lived there they had little trays next to the till that you put the loose cents from your change into... if the next customers bill came to $5.01 the cashier simply took 1 cent out of the tray.
    Made things much simpler (and better, in my opinion)
  • daviesee
    So, fairly unanimous that the only reason for keeping them is to have what amounts to an unnoticeable way of saving up?
  • daviesee wrote:
    So, fairly unanimous that the only reason for keeping them is to have what amounts to an unnoticeable way of saving up?

and to throw at your parents greenhouse, dont forget that
    The doctor said I needed to start drinking more whiskey. Also, I’m calling myself ‘the doctor’ now
  • daviesee
    daviesee wrote:

and to throw at your parents greenhouse, dont forget that
    Very important, that part. :wink:
  • veronese68
    ad_snow wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Lloyds, then Lloyds/TSB now Lloyds again.
  • rubertoe
    Veronese68 wrote:
    ad_snow wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

is the banking branch not TSB now?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• veronese68
    rubertoe wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    ad_snow wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Hope not, they sent through an expensive looking publication telling me I was with Lloyds. Seeing as it was Lloyds when I opened the account I didn't really give two hoots.
  • rubertoe
    Veronese68 wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    ad_snow wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Hope not, they sent through an expensive looking publication telling me I was with Lloyds. Seeing as it was Lloyds when I opened the account I didn't really give two hoots.

I must re-asses Mrs Toes Banking then (she is with lloyds).

• ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    There's a Lloyds and a TSB now - although as far as I can tell they offer the same accounts on all the same rates... (there's 2 of each in Lincoln town centre when before there were only 3 Lloyds TSB's.. seems overkill to me)

My wife also banks with Lloyds so maybe I'll get her to assess her banking habits and save some coppers :)
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    As it has been proven to me that everything is 99p in the UK, then clearly you need a seperete (sic) 99p coin.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Funnily enough one of the worst customer service experiences I have ever had was in a bike shop (a medium sized chain) - I was browsing, at the time I was in the market for an £800-£1000 bike. I felt a bit guilty about walking out without buying anything (stupid I know) so picked up a tube of chain lube for £2.99 and gave the guy a fiver - he gave me £2 change and said "You'll have to do without the penny". Neither the lube, nor the bike, came from that shop in the end, it really wound me up, much more because of the attitude than the penny - according to this thread it would be standard practice in other countries. I like to think that if I'd been working in the shop and not had any copper that day I'd have given £2.05 in change.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    bluefinch wrote:
    Funnily enough one of the worst customer service experiences I have ever had was in a bike shop (a medium sized chain) - I was browsing, at the time I was in the market for an £800-£1000 bike. I felt a bit guilty about walking out without buying anything (stupid I know) so picked up a tube of chain lube for £2.99 and gave the guy a fiver - he gave me £2 change and said "You'll have to do without the penny". Neither the lube, nor the bike, came from that shop in the end, it really wound me up, much more because of the attitude than the penny - according to this thread it would be standard practice in other countries. I like to think that if I'd been working in the shop and not had any copper that day I'd have given £2.05 in change.

Or at the very least asked if the customer minded being a penny short. I really don't see what the problem is with pennies: they are pretty useful for all those small purchases at corner shops and the like. You just need to make a point of giving the correct change where possible, and you can keep the amount you have in your pocket to a sensible level.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bluefinch wrote:
    I felt a bit guilty about walking out without buying anything (stupid I know) so picked up a tube of chain lube for £2.99 and gave the guy a fiver - he gave me £2 change and said "You'll have to do without the penny". Neither the lube, nor the bike, came from that shop in the end, it really wound me up, much more because of the attitude than the penny - according to this thread it would be standard practice in other countries. I like to think that if I'd been working in the shop and not had any copper that day I'd have given £2.05 in change.

The correct customer response to this would be "no problem about the penny, I'll take a 2p coin instead"
  • Recommend getting a 5 litre water bottle from Tesco (other shops are available) and when it's gone, dump all your loose change in there. We were a bit skint a few years back and had to empty ours guessing it should have at least £150 in it, and there was over £700 in there. We were landed! I do chuck silver in as well, and the odd £2 coin