My Colnago build (update March 2014)

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    What about the bolts?! Or is that for next week?
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    NapoleonD wrote:
    What about the bolts?! Or is that for next week?

They're on the frame :wink:
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    diamonddog wrote:
    Can't wait for the bottle cage bolts update. :lol:

Just for you :)

IMG_3668-M.jpg
    I can rest happy now more exciting than just the bolts, I thought these would be way down the line, cheers for that. :)
  • avababy24
    avababy24 Posts: 162
    So you've got the frame then ?
  • glasgowbhoy
    Ok then, yes, I picked up the frame on Thursday but only got round to taking some pics after a Sunday run today.

First up I'd like to thank Rich H on here who is a thoroughly sound bloke. This purchase has been in the making for over a year. It was well out of my price range last summer but a year later we got to an agreement. I've been the internet equivalent of the boy with his nose pressed against the bike shop window at Christmas time for too long and think Rich eventually just wanted rid of me :)

The only way that this build could happen was pretty much down to Rich. I certainly don't have the funds for a full 'super bike' build but I think that the parts I have assembled are good quality and I'm looking forward to building it up over the winter. The full build will be less than the cost of a new C59 frame at retail and the only way I could justify the outlay. It was also good to meet and pick up the frame in person.

Anyway enough rambling.

I'll start adding pictures of the build over the next few weeks. The C59 is the GDOB in a 52s and as Rich and Nap D have pointed out in other threads the pictures of these Colnago's really don't do them justice. The paint jobs are fantastic and these could easily just be hung up on the wall and admired. The frame is in mint condition and it certainly falls under the 'one very careful owner' and 'low mileage' categories.

IMG_3682-M.jpg

IMG_3689-M.jpg

IMG_3680-M.jpg

IMG_3688-M.jpg

IMG_3677-M.jpg
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Cooool! Looking forward to seeing this built up :D
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    This looks very interesting. :)
  • dombhoy
    dombhoy Posts: 147
    edited October 2013
    Lovely frame looks like its going to be a good build
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    That frame looks immense. Can't wait to see this built up!
  • Rich.H
    Rich.H Posts: 443
    Thanks for the kind words John :oops:

Glad the frame made it home safely - I look forward to seeing it fully built up again :)

Enjoy!!

Rich
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    hey well done lovely c59
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Russyh wrote:
    That frame looks immense. Can't wait to see this built up!

I fear you may have to :wink:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Wow very nice frame!
  • ledeev
    ledeev Posts: 208
    I'm looking forward to seeing this kitted up!
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Very nice, glad you finally got sorted, wait till you ride it! 8) :D
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Velonutter wrote:

Yeah, having just got one, I agree.

On a side note it's funny when you read what people have to say about any bike, I remember reading what one person said about the C59's ride quality when I was reading around on them and when I later spotted a photo of them they'd posted with their bike, I reminded myself that some little personal reviews I'd dismiss in a heartbeat if I saw who was riding it!... here's the example...

snno06.jpg

...don't get me wrong, he would have as much right to say what he thinks of his bike as anyone else does, I just don't get the impression he would be the type to validly comment on how a top end bike climbs and handles with much relevance to me
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Well I think he can comment on how light it is :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Harsh :D
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    mfin wrote:
    Velonutter wrote:

Yeah, having just got one, I agree.

On a side note it's funny when you read what people have to say about any bike, I remember reading what one person said about the C59's ride quality when I was reading around on them and when I later spotted a photo of them they'd posted with their bike, I reminded myself that some little personal reviews I'd dismiss in a heartbeat if I saw who was riding it!... here's the example...

snno06.jpg

...don't get me wrong, he would have as much right to say what he thinks of his bike as anyone else does, I just don't get the impression he would be the type to validly comment on how a top end bike climbs and handles with much relevance to me

Yeah and this fat bloke wouldn't have a clue, would he? I mean, look at him! Lardy!
    eddy_merckx_overweight.jpg
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    No, you're right, I don't think a 17 stone Fat Merckx would be great at reviewing how a bike rides or climbs either, unless it was to be read by someone else that was about 17 stone that is, as it would be applicable to them. (Knowing about bikes helps yes, but it would still be like knowing a lot about hi-fi and doing reviews even though you have gone so deaf you wear hearing aids).
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744

Yeah and this fat bloke wouldn't have a clue, would he? I mean, look at him! Lardy!
    eddy_merckx_overweight.jpg

Steven Seagal?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • maxlite
    maxlite Posts: 293
    Looking at the amount of Xl gear on sale on this forum I think many fit into that category.

But they still have a valid statement to make, I dont think many people really push their bikes to there full capacity.

Lets enjoy our bikes and not bitch :wink:

Nice Colnago BTW
    Cervelo R5
    Cinelli Saetta
    Giant XTC
    Raleigh Classic
  • glasgowbhoy
    Shite, am I going to have to take a picture of my 68kg race weight self next to this build to validate my feedback on its capabilities? :D
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    We're going to have to see some medals too. Maybe there should be a compulsory BMI in the signature...
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    Different strokes... Different blokes... Don't be too quick to judge someone on looks
  • glasgowbhoy
    Back to the build.

Sorry about the terrible photo but the energy saving light bulb in the back bedroom doesn't do much for photography.

I need to get a spacer for under the stem and I've got the frame sitting on a set of 50mm carbon racing tubs that were in that room for storage out of the garage over winter. I've got another nice set of wheels on order and will update once they arrive and I get the groupset on which will probably be over the Christmas holidays when I've got a fair bit of free time.

IMG_3981-M.png
  • Very jealous- looks fantastic!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    It's beginning to look like a bike...and a very classy looking thing too.
    I'm doing a C40 but i'll wait till it is finished...
    I have recently weighed myself and I am 63kg's (that's f*cking anorexic :shock: ) - I wanted to be this weight in spring - time to eat some pies but will not post pics of me and the bike (before or after pies)...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    Quality
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • Lovely looking bike John.

I'll keep an eye on this thread while I'm waiting the arrival of my Felt! Look forward to seeing it out on the road next season.

Cheers
    Michael