Why fixed/single speed bikes

Armerlite
Armerlite Posts: 21
edited November 2013 in Road beginners
What's so great about them is it just the training aspect? Got to admit thinking about one as a comute bike to work over the mountain bike but prob not the best idea this time of year?

Comments

• To be honest, I would think the main reason for most people is the maintenance, but riding fixed can help with pedal stroke and can encourage higher cadence (as well as preventing you from freewheeling) for a better aerobic workout... The chain line is also much better than with a derailleur.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I really enjoy the instant connection, the rhythm and the feeling of momentum on short climbs and smashing into headwinds.

Oh and then there is the easy maintenance and swapping components isn't much harder than playing with Lego.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Main reason for me is that fixed gear is less hassle to keep maintained, and I'd say this time of year is the ideal time to think about going fixed, in fact I got mine out of storage yesterday in preparation for winter. Other reasons are being forced to ride at a wider range of cadences than I'd use with gears, and also I find it easier to control the distance to the wheel in front when riding in a group. Oh and if you suffer cold hands, you can wear big hefty gloves that wouldn't allow to to operate gear levers!
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    Fashion

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    iPete wrote:
    I really enjoy the instant connection, the rhythm and the feeling of momentum on short climbs and smashing into headwinds.

Oh and then there is the easy maintenance and swapping components isn't much harder than playing with Lego.

Basically this.

You can treat the drivetrain with very little love and attention and it'll just keep on going day in, day out.
  • Does sound tempting could be used as a winter bike as well the Fuji track & feather look good
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I would try it - but I just don't fancy that 9% gradient ... either up or down ...
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Because would you really think about powdercoating your crabon fiber speed demon in flouro pink?

No.

Thats what a fixed/SS is for. :P

Seriously though, I have consigned my road bike for weekend rides only. For my commute I love my SS, no maintenance, easy to clean no fuss of changing gears in stop start traffic in london and even lighter than my road bike. Plus I can make it look as outrageous as I want and no one can say anything because its a fixeh.

Oh and it does feel satisfying keeping up with a roadie and mashing up hills.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • goonz
    Slowbike wrote:
    I would try it - but I just don't fancy that 9% gradient ... either up or down ...

I mashed my way up Box hill on my SS, just.
  • slowbike
    goonz wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

I mashed my way up Box hill on my SS, just.
    I'd need to use it for commuting - so that's that hill every time - no choice! Not sure my legs would quite take that!
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Of course you get to choose what the gear is; they make sense commuting as the route is the same every day and you know you're not going to face a 1:4 on a 80" gear.

Because it's the same route every day, I do mix it up by taking a geared bike one day and the SS another - it's a completely different ride. I always get a great sense of satisfaction getting home after a ss commute.
  • I spent much of my (now very distant) youth on a 65 fixed. I still ride my father's fixed wheel Higgins from time. What benefits?
    I suggest you get a better pedalling style and cadence from a lowish fixed gear. You also learn timing your effort input to get up inclines effectively. If you don't carry your speed you will struggle.
    I think you also learn bike control. Your connection to the bike is very definite and balance and low-speed handling are improved.
    A fixed-wheel bike is a simple and pure thing. I allows you to focus on the basic essentials of cycling. I know this all sounds a bit vague, but this process of stripping down to essentials is a key part of many coaching techniques. It definitely teaches you something.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Apollonius wrote:
    A fixed-wheel bike is a scarey thing.

FIFY

How on earth do you make that transition when you (or me to be more specific) have been riding bikes with freewheels for 40+ years!!
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    I like the simplicity, the silence, and the fact it reminds me of when I was 12. This is what cycling is all about.
    Insert bike here:
  • johnmiosh
    johnmiosh Posts: 211
    Navrig wrote:
    Apollonius wrote:

FIFY

How on earth do you make that transition when you (or me to be more specific) have been riding bikes with freewheels for 40+ years!!

You only forget you're on a fixed and stop pedalling the once. After that it focuses the mind.
  • Ed-tron
    Ed-tron Posts: 165
    Im looking into getting a SS for my next bike, but I'd keep it free wheel. Perhaps like this: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cha ... e-ec053633

The draw for me would be:

- Lower maintenance and less to malfunction
    - Cheaper
    - Great for nipping down to the shops/ pub for a shandy
    - Does not scream 'steal me' as much as my main road bike
    - Would force me to work hard on the hills, as cant pop it in an easier gear, so better training whilst commuting
    - Aesthetically they are pleasing, with nice clean lines, bit of a vintage feel
    - Less 'to do', monitor and faff whilst riding, seems liberating and perhaps enable a more enjoyable ride(?)
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    johnmiosh wrote:
    Navrig wrote:
    Apollonius wrote:

FIFY

You only forget you're on a fixed and stop pedalling the once. After that it focuses the mind.

On my first spinning class I forgot I was on a fixed wheel (fly wheel at that) and I stopped pedalling. The toe clips and pedals didn't like that. There was bits of plastic and strap flying all over the place. Ooops :oops:
  • iPete
    Ed-tron wrote:
    - Less 'to do', monitor and faff whilst riding, seems liberating and perhaps enable a more enjoyable ride(?)

fixed/SS + no computer is enjoyably simple, just ride.
  • slowbike
    I've only ridden fixed once and that was on the track - never did quite get the "don't stop pedalling" thing - It was an intro to track session and we had a flying lap - with the instruction to "don't stop pedalling" when we got to the end - I couldn't stop pedalling - I was clipped in (SPDs) and to me stopping pedalling is to stop putting power down - so the pedals carry on the rotation and carry my feet & legs ...
    Stopping was a totally different thing though - no brakes = fun to judge the distance required and apply back pressure to slow faster ...
  • goonz
    I want to switch to fixed so I can perfect my no handed track stand like a boss at the lights
  • iPete
    Traversed 20 miles across London last month without putting my foot down, one of my greatest achievements :lol:

Have a new pink fixie frame to pick up in the morning, caneee wait.
  • goonz
    Nice 1! What frame u got? I got a steel frame I'm looking to convert too when funds permit!
  • iPete
    An imported Cinelli Vigorosa..

884926_650227459456_414622845_o_zps6808428a.jpg
  • goonz
    Been looking at the mash myself. All in good time...
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    I built a SS this year to spare wearing out my geared bike whilst training. I have geared it for riding on the flat. It's an old steel Puegeot frame with 27" wheels and fold up tyres. I normally ride 170mm cranks but a put 165mm on the SS to enable me to increase my cadence.It is astonishing how fast it is to ride and the average speed on it equals my geared bike. Many years ago I rode 72" fixed so I could climb with it but find riding the higher geared free for the flat just as much fun.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • I'm putting my groupset onto a new frame once funds permit, so to save the components went SS last week. Fettling the bike to get everything 'just so' was good fun, and once I get it up to a decent speed the reduction in weight and fairly aggressive gearing means that it accelerates like a rocket from about 20 to 26. If I'm honest, I miss having gears when pulling away from the lights, but otherwise I really enjoy the simplicity of it all - just hoping that the 'less maintenance' thing is true now. That said, the one component to always get trashed over winter on the commute was the front mech, so that's guaranteed not to get so bad this Winter...
  • I've had a fuji classic track bike for over a year. It was my first 'adult' bike and I got it for fitness purposes, with no intent on using it as a commuter - back then I was too terrified of riding on the roads! Times have changed and now I'm using it purely as a commuter...the days of me going up and down a hill for exercise are long gone :)

Fixies are a lot of fun, feels like you are a kid again. You get to focus on riding, rather than the gears and all that business. Also fixies don't let you lie in terms of your fitness level...if you are finding a hill harder than you did two weeks ago, you can't just go down a gear to hide it from yourself.

However. if you want a bike for long rides, or you end up doing a lot of commuting and you live in a hilly area, then you may be better off going for a geared bike OR getting a fixie for the weekend and when you really want to push yourself, and a geared bike for everything else.

I'm in the process (as of today) refurnishing an unloved geared bike that I've recently inherited. I have no idea about bikes (because a fixie is so low maintenance I haven't had too), hence why I've joined the forum to ask a lot of question. I love my fixie, but my growing love for bike riding has meant that it's time for me to switch.

also please note that I live in Sydney. There is minimal flat ground.
  • 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    I bought a S/S a couple of weeks ago, it has a flip flop with fixed on one side but as yet I've not flipped it over to fixed so I'm riding single speed on a 70" gear and loving every minute of it. So far I've done 235 miles in my 2 weeks of owning it and yesterday I managed to climb up to the Crow Road car park some 4 minutes faster than I did on my compact geared bike
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    I cannot see myself ever using a fixie very often as it's pretty hilly where I live and I'm just not strong enough to mash up hills on a fixie but I'd love a go on one.

Sadly all the cyclist I know either have normal road bikes, hybrids or MTBs - none of them has a fixie.
  • 82.9" Fixed. Got it in June, commuting from Wishaw to Bellshill anything from 8.5 - 15 miles each way depending on the route I take that day. Love it.