Types of Grease?

photonic69
photonic69 Posts: 2,674
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
I recently stripped down and regrease the wheel hubs of my wife's and 2x kids bikes along with the basic bottom bracket of my youngest's bike and used this grease here:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/weldtite/cycle-grease-with-teflon-150ml-tube-ec038132

I'm now lead to believe that this grease is not suitable for long term bearing use, so I'm a bit annoyed that the LBS sold it to me as suitable. Apparently this grease can wash out with water/rain etc. Meh!

Can others recommend a good grease for hubs and BB use that will not wash out etc or will this grease be OK?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

Comments

• http://www.juicelubes.co.uk/bearing-juice-150ml.html

The weldtite is fine in suspension forks
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    I have Park tools Polylube
    Worked great for my headset service and I'm going to use it to build my bike
    I always take the approach that other than brakes and other stupid places what harm will a load of grease do?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    There's grease lighting. Go...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd use what you have, and service frequently. If water can get in, so can dirt.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Why do you think there is a problem with the Weldtite grease?

I just use automotive wheel bearing grease, or the grease for boat trailers wheels (which are expected to be submerged in water).

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,674
    Thanks for the input guys.

I guess I'll use up what I have for the time being and service regularly, replacing with bearing specific grease when I run out. Previously I used car bearing grease on my old hacks but since we all have decent bikes I wanted to use much better bike grease, hence the purchase of the Weldtite. It was whilst using it I read the tube and then reviews that suggested it was not best suited for bearings etc.

However, since this was the bikes' first services the manufacturers tend to skimp in things like grease so more fresh, clean grease is going to be better than the meagre amount I found in each hub. Also the BB of the smallest bike had what looked like the remains of Wholegrain Dijon mustard and toast crumb mix.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• I just use the red general purpose bicycle grease from halfords.
    Grease is grease, as long as you apply it in the correct places and at the right quantity.