superstar hubs?

cubedean
cubedean Posts: 670
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
I recently purchased a set of ryde adrenelin wheels from on-one. However I wish I had gone for a set of superstars in orange. I'm considering selling the rude wheels and getting superstars in tubeless but not sure which hub to go with?

What's everyone opinion?

I like loud hubs also.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Superstar hubs aren't loud.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    If you want loud then get hope
    If you want best value get superstar
    But in all honesty why do you need to change them?
  • Superstar hubs aren't loud.

Yes they are.

But fortunately you can pack them with grease to make them quiet
  • cubedean
    To be honest I don't need to change them. The main reason I wanted superstar was for the orange rims. I don't know why I didn't just get them in the first place, I guess I was blinded by the discount on the ryde wheels, which are pretty good but not tubeless like I first thought.
  • rockmonkeysc
    When Superstar hubs are noisy it means the freehub is dry and needs grease. It shouldn't be packed with grease, just a reasonable coating on the teeth in the hub body is all it needs and enough to make it almost silent.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    When Superstar hubs are noisy it means the freehub is dry and needs grease. It shouldn't be packed with grease, just a reasonable coating on the teeth in the hub body is all it needs and enough to make it almost silent.

Exactly, Only hub this doesn't apply for is Hope!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Oh no it isn't.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    A well maintained Hope hub isn't all that noisy. Most are run virtually dry because the freehub sealing is crap and grease gets washed out.
    Noise is energy so the more noise there is the less efficient the hub is.
  • No Sweat
    No Sweat Posts: 103
    Noise is energy so the more noise there is the less efficient the hub is.

Up to a point... the 'ticking' of the pawls themselves does not make the hub/freewheel inefficient....and silencing this with a layer of grease will not make it more efficient, as the energy otherwise 'lost' to sound (and then heat) is simply 'lost' by heating up the grease directly instead. Too much grease will make the freewheel less efficient by making the pawls harder to move (and heating up the grease a little in the process). If there is so little grease that the pawls are completely unlubricated then energy will be 'lost' as friction makes the pawls harder to move (heating up the metal of the whole device) - it will be this, not the loud tick, that means the hub/freewheel will be inefficient. Not too much, and not too little.....
  • I have superstar switch evo hubs, with mavic xm719 rims.
    They have been fine so far, apart from the fronts needing bearing replacement quite quickly.
    I think they are great value for money, superstar stock all the spares you might need.
    At the beginning of summer i completely stripped and cleaned out my rear hub. When i put it back together i just lubed the pawls with a dab of FL dry lube. They are now as loud and clicky as hopes, just a different sound. Gets people out of the way quickly.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Thats the wrong sort of lube to use in a freehub. It needs grease in there to keep it running nicely.
    A normal wet lube will get washed out in no time plus it's too thin to stay where you need it.
  • It hasnt exploded after regular use since march and runs fine.
    For winter when its getting wet and muddy i will put a bit of grease in there.
    There is essentially very few small working parts in a freehub, just pawls acting under spring pressure, so i dont think a great deal of grease or lube is needed.
  • rockmonkeysc
    You have constant metal on metal contact. As the pawls wear the angle of contact with the teeth in the hub changes until it cracks the freehub body where its less than a millimetre thick. I have cracked three superstar freehub bodies now and found that they fail when the pawls are worn. Now that I grease it properly it seems to be lasting properly.
  • Did you run it dry or not grease it before?
    I think the damage may be more likely that they are thin walled aluminium. Maybe you should try a steel freehub.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Have you seen the weight difference between the steel and alloy versions?
    Its where the body is recessed for the pawl the body is down to approx 0.5mm thick.
    I did grease them when I fitted them but it washed out in wet weather. Now I strip and grease once a month.
  • cubedean
    I think i'm going to be ordering a set at some point, i just really don't know which to go with.

Whichever i decide on it has to be tubeless, but it appears that you still need to tape the tubeless ready superstar rims (which in theory i might aswell buy a none tubeless ready rim?)

Most of my riding will be trail centres with some xc & i don't know which wheelset to go with.

Tubeless ready choices:-
    Tactic wheelset with tesla hubs - Trail/light all mountain - £230
    Sentinal wheelset with tesla hubs - XC/Trail centre - £230

STD wheelsets
    XC430 - Switch evo build - £130

All sets will require taping and valves
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Looking at the Tactic and Sentinel builds myself. The Sentinels are a bit lighter so I reckon if you want 26 wheels go Tactic I want 29 wheels so I reckon for me Sentinels.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    My Trizoid DH lasted 10 months of summer riding with only one strip, clean & re-grease half way through that (same bearings)

Knackered now, freehub body spins under load. But SS have said they'll 'upgrade' me to the newer, better version of the freehub (freehub body, bearings, seals, pawls and springs) for half price which is cost apparently, can't say fairer than that I don't reckon
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • cubedean
    I decided on the tech 3 evo wheelset, orange switch hubs with black sapim race spokes and orange xc-430 rims. Also went for the larger through axles instead of std QR.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Superstar hubs aren't loud.

Teslas aren't when you first get them. I've had mine for a few months now and they're still fairly quiet (nowhere near Hope noise levels) and going well. Also Sentinel rims are very smart, particularly in red.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Trizoids are very loud, Switch EVO's are quiet
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • rockmonkeysc

Trizoids are re-branded Halo Tornadoes. They are a bit noisier than the Superstar Switch Evo hubs.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001

Trizoids are re-branded Halo Tornadoes. They are a bit noisier than the Superstar Switch Evo hubs.

They aren't rebranded Halo they are Novatech from Taiwan and lots of firms like Halo, Nukeproof, DMR and SS get there logo put on.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cubedean
    I reckon 90% of hubs made are novatec rebranded, with the exception of Chris king, hope, profile and maybe a couple of others.