OT Bath & Bristol

Headhuunter
Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
edited October 2013 in Commuting chat
Hi all, another off topic question from me. I know some of you live over in Bath and Bristol and I'm likely to be in that area this weekend. There'll be 3 of us and a dog. We'd like to have a look at both places but which one should we stay in? We'd prob like to have a few pubs, bars, places to eat etc at our disposal and I'm half assuming that Bristol as a larger city would have better choices. Is that so? I've only ever briefly been to both in the past so really have no idea...
Thanks!
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

Comments

• If you've ever been to Bath, you'd never go to Bristol.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    If you've ever been to Bath, you'd never go to Bristol.
    My experience of Bath is a single night... A party when I was a student. We drove to Bath... Drove around the city a bit, got p1ssed, slept on a floor, got up next day and left again... I spent a bit more time in Bristol in 2011 - an afternoon basically. What's so good about Bath then?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Bath:

Pulteney_Bridge_001.jpg

Bristol:

Bristol_city_centre_from_bottom_of_park_street_arp.jpg

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,765
    Bristol is a proper city, whereas Bath is more of a big tourist attraction. Bath has more of the set piece Georgian architecture, but Bristol has the docks, the SS Great Britain, the Clifton Suspension Bridge and the Downs (good for walking the dog) amongst many other attractions. Mind you Bath has some nice parks too, and the Roman Baths. I'd always plump for Bristol, and only partly out of loyalty, there is certainly a greater choice of places to eat and drink in Bristol.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Bath is by far the more touristy orientated things to see place & whilst Bristol has some sights to see for sure, it definitely wins on the bars/pubs/eateries count, theres the whole harbourside part of the city with all the usual chains & then stacks of other places around nearby.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,765
    Koncordski wrote:
    Bath:

Bath_Hilton_Master.jpg

Bristol:

clifton-suspension-bridge-see-do-buildings-monuments-large.jpg

FTFY

Bath is very pretty, but that was a rather unfair selection for Bristol.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    Both are great and have their merits. Depends whether you prefer a small city or a bigger city for things to do and see.

Bristol has a lot more going on being the bigger city, also has several areas well worth a visit so you can easily spend a few nights and go somewhere with different attractions and a different feel each evening. I have only ever visited bath in the day so can't comment on how the night life compares.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP