Rear Mud / Wet Weather Tyre

Psychotext
Psychotext Posts: 145
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
As my local trails start to fall to pieces I've switched my front tyre to the trusty Bontrager Mud X 2.0. However, I've hit the point where my rear tyre isn't really handling the conditions (pretty much no grip on anything wet and they get completely filled with mu).

I considered going with the 1.8 version of the Mud X on the rear but I've read that it's not particularly good at handling different surfaces, especially rocks and roots, which I do come across with regularity (mostly XC in the winter). I've had a look around and come up with the following options:

Panaracer Fire XC Pro 1.8 - Edit: Unsuitable.
Maxxis Beaver 2.0 - Apparently let down by thin sidewalls / not particularly resilient.
Maxxis Medusa 1.8 - Lots of people say that it's no good on anything other than mud.
Continental Mud King 1.8 - Expensive, apparently better for full on mud than mixed surfaces.
Michelin Wild Mud 2.0 - Supposedly great at multiple surfaces... but I can't actually find one to buy.
Schwalbe Dirty Dan 2.0 - Edit: Not really an XC tyre.

Anyone got any thoughts on these or other options?

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    I have no issues with the Mud X (in 2.0 flavour) on the back of my bikes and that includes the wet chalk misery off of the South Downs and the roots of various forests. Can't comment about rocks though.

In terms of good wet/crap conditions alternatives the Panaracer Trailraker is the other favourite amongst our lot.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Panaracer XC Mud 1.8, superb in any mud.....I have one I stick on when it gets really gloopy.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    No mud tyre will perform well on roots and rocks, they're not designed for that. You just have to find something that is the best of both worlds. Aside from this, mud tyres are a pain in the arse to pedal about with and will rip the trails to shreds making them even worse. Stick with something in between and just deal with your back wheel getting loose every so often - i really enjoy getting a bit sideways!

Anyway, as for tyres, the dirty dan is a mud specific downhill tyre. You don't want to put one on an XC bike.
    My Schwalbe Hans Dampfs grip really well in a variety of conditions including loose soil/mud and clear the mud relatively well.
    Maxxis Minions grip pretty well too but don't shed the mud so well. Could be worth trying a High Roller...
    Though my personal choice would be the Hans Dampf.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • I have a High Roller II on there at the mo. It's pretty good, but it's hit its limit too many times of late.

Also, this from last year...

7fvKGrel.jpg
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Psychotext wrote:
    Panaracer Fire XC Pro 1.8 - Seems to fit the bill, not read anything bad about it (so far).

Nothing bad to say about it for general purpose riding, but it's not a mud tyre by any stretch of the imagination. Clogs far too easily for winter use round here. Anyone who says it's good in mud doesn't get proper mud where they live ;)
  • Okee dokey. How about the beaver? Seems aimed at general wet conditions rather than flat out mud, but I guess that's what I want.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    had good experience with the Maxxis Swampthing.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The XC Pro is a good all year round, all surfaces compromise tyre, not a mud tyre.

The Maxxis Beaver gets excellent reviews as an all round (UK style) winter tyre which is what it sounds like you want.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Reckon I might try the XC Mud and the Beaver. Will give the trailraker a go if I don't like either of those.

Cheers all.