how to remove scratches on seatpost?

malayneum
malayneum Posts: 18
edited October 2013 in MTB general
recently i change to a smaller frame.now all the white-ish scratches on the lower part of the seatpost are visible. how do i clean them? i tried using muc off bike cleaner, didnt work. its a 350mm kcnc ti pro lite. thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you cant.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • If they're scratches, why would using muc-off get rid of them? It's cleaner, not paint.

Couple of options:

1. MTFU, Just get it covered in mud, that'll do a good job of hiding them?
    2. MTFU, Accept it's a mountain bike not a museum exhibit, and move on.
    3. (assuming it's a black seatpost) use a black marker.
  • If they're scratches, why would using muc-off get rid of them? It's cleaner, not paint.

Couple of options:

1. MTFU, Just get it covered in mud, that'll do a good job of hiding them?
    2. MTFU, Accept it's a mountain bike not a museum exhibit, and move on.
    3. (assuming it's a black seatpost) use a black marker.

thanks for the black marker idea. will try that.

and yes my bike is a museum exhibit, i see nothing wrong with that.
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    You'd have to re-paint it

Or strip all the paint off to make it silver

Or buy a new post
  • If it's Ti it will look better without paint anyway.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • ednino
    If it's Ti it will look better without paint anyway.

I think the ti pro lite is Scandium alloy with titanium bolts

I've got a load of KCNC stuff, really like it
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I use a black permanent OHP marker pen to disguise scratches on black anodised/painted parts. Quick and easy and makes them less obvious. Haven't bothered on my seatpost though after it got a few scratches on last time out (from lowering and raising it while it was splattered with mud and dirt) - figured it'll probably just get scratched again next time, unless you're going to stop and wash off the muck each time before dropping the post, which seems a little impractical... Dear Santa, can I have a dropper post please?
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    malayneum wrote:
    and yes my bike is a museum exhibit, i see nothing wrong with that.

Other than what's the point in owning a MTB and being worried about a few scratches and a dirt it's what it's meant for.
  • ednino
    I use a black permanent OHP marker pen to disguise scratches on black anodised/painted parts. Quick and easy and makes them less obvious. Haven't bothered on my seatpost though after it got a few scratches on last time out (from lowering and raising it while it was splattered with mud and dirt) - figured it'll probably just get scratched again next time, unless you're going to stop and wash off the muck each time before dropping the post, which seems a little impractical... Dear Santa, can I have a dropper post please?

Or just man up and leave your seatpost up high
  • Kowalski675
    And that's manly how, exactly? :roll:
  • And that's manly how, exactly? :roll:

There is nothing more manly than having a seatpost forcibly inserted in your poopshoot.

Obvs.
  • Kowalski675

There is nothing more manly than having a seatpost forcibly inserted in your poopshoot.

Obvs.

Does he not have a seat then? :lol:
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323

Obvs.

Does he not have a seat then? :lol:

If it's scratching the post - he needs to be changing his diet, too!
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • ednino

Learn how to ride better and you won't have to stop and drop your seatpost :roll:
  • Kowalski675
    ednino wrote:

Learn how to ride better and you won't have to stop and drop your seatpost :roll:

:lol: WALOB. You get the prize for stupidest post of the week. :roll:
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    ednino wrote:

:lol: WALOB. You get the prize for stupidest post of the week. :roll:

Gets my vote!

Personally, whilst I don't have to drop my seat, I find nadgery trails more enjoyable if it's out the way.

....I doubt I'm alone in thinking this, but I guess we can't all be self-professed bike-tart riding-gods.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • ednino wrote:

47083-Neil-Patrick-Harris-Speechless-Li37.gif