lie, deceive and mislead

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,660
edited October 2013 in The cake stop
Bit of fun...

What would you have answered to the interview question whats the difference between the words lie, deceive and mislead

I'd say that a lie is to speak/write any sort of untruth, deceive is to deliberately try to give someone wrong information and is usually mallicious whereas mislead can be accidental, for example if I wrote a post badly that the point I made got garbled and the next poster got the wrong end of the stick

( http://www.independent.co.uk/student/ne ... 82074.html )
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    ddraver wrote:
    Bit of fun...

What would you have answered to the interview question whats the difference between the words lie, deceive and mislead)

which is why I don't have a job
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • deceive and misleading are closer bedfellows imo. although i would agree deceive is intentional and misleading potentially isnt in rare circumstances, and of the 3 has the least negative connatations.
  • Lie is a method, deceive and mislead are intents.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Lie is a method, deceive and mislead are intents.

oooh nice...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    To lie is to tell an untruth.
    To deceive is to cover the truth.
    To mislead is to steer the listener away from the truth.

I agree that deceive and mislead are very close. Deception tends to be a positive action on the part of the person doing the deceiving, whereas misleading tends to be passive in that it's listener that 'wants' to believe.

The older I get, the better I was.

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Oh Fun...

There is no difference in these words, they can all be interchanged and used to make different points, as all language is metaphor, so meanings can vary. It is a standard question to get people to change their understanding of each word under examination.

the only possible answer is 4

See why I don't have a job
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    To use a cycling analogy, today I rode to work at an average speed of just under 17mph. If I told someone I did 25mph average I would be lying (and posting in the Road Beginners section), if I manipulated by Strava data to 'prove' I averaged 25mph I would be deceiving you, if on the other hand I actually did average 25mph but failed to mention my entire commute was downhill with a tail wind I would be misleading you. So lying = telling an untruth, deceiving = taking action to support a lie, misleading = deliberately failing to provide all the information available or correct a misunderstanding in an attempt to let someone draw the wrong conclusion (in the example above that I am a fast cyclist).
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    25mph! Well done!
    Or have I been lied to, deceived or misled? :lol:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    deceive and misleading are closer bedfellows imo. although i would agree deceive is intentional and misleading potentially isnt in rare circumstances, and of the 3 has the least negative connatations.

I'd disagree on the latter point. There is an implication that to mislead someone implies a deliberate purpose of taking someone down a path that is not in their best interests. To lie is a simple descriptive term - there is nothing implicit in it that you are trying to achieve something at someones expense by lying to them. You can lie to someone to spare their feelings or to gain unfair advantage from them. There is nothing of right or wrong implicit in the term.

Mislead is probably a form of deception.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Rolf F wrote:
    deceive and misleading are closer bedfellows imo. although i would agree deceive is intentional and misleading potentially isnt in rare circumstances, and of the 3 has the least negative connatations.

I'd disagree on the latter point. There is an implication that to mislead someone implies a deliberate purpose of taking someone down a path that is not in their best interests. To lie is a simple descriptive term - there is nothing implicit in it that you are trying to achieve something at someones expense by lying to them. You can lie to someone to spare their feelings or to gain unfair advantage from them. There is nothing of right or wrong implicit in the term.

Mislead is probably a form of deception.

Mislead can be qualified as in 'Deliberately misleading' or 'Unintentionally mislead'
  • I still think mislead is considered less bad as lying. If someone is labeled a liar it is worse than being labeled a misleader.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Capt Slog wrote:
    To lie is to tell an untruth.
    To deceive is to cover the truth.
    To mislead is to steer the listener away from the truth.
    I agree with this.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I think the plebgate police need to learn theses definitions.
    "We would like to emphasise (as we did to the investigation) that in no way did any of us ever plan or intend to mislead anyone about what occurred during this meeting or otherwise."
    Really?