pedaling technique

jnobles01
jnobles01 Posts: 15
edited October 2013 in Road beginners
I have read two different camps as far as the heel in the pedaling technique. I have seen where they say to keep the heel above the pedal and where you sink your heel down. I hope that made sense. What is your opinion.

Comments

• Yes, some people ride with their heals up, others with heals down and a whole load of others somewhere inbetween. We are all different.
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    It is a question of do you use the ankle or not to rotate the cranks. Since you don't need an ankle to rotate the cranks, lock it and see how you get on. Have a look at pro track and road riders and you will see them doing this.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    cyco2 wrote:
    It is a question of do you use the ankle or not to rotate the cranks. Since you don't need an ankle to rotate the cranks, lock it and see how you get on. Have a look at pro track and road riders and you will see them doing this.
    I don't think the OP was worried about heel movement but the angle of the foot - ie heel high or heel low in relation to the pedal.

There is a lot of variation amongst pro's so I don't think it probably matters much where you put your heel.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Wherever your foot sits naturally IMO, don't over think it. :)
  • Agree with diamonddog - Marco Pantani used to look like a ballerina with his toes pointing down much of the time and he seemed to ride ok...well, maybe not best example, but you get what i mean.
  • I try to keep fairly neutral ( flat ) most of the time but if sprinting I tend to be toes down, and if climbing seated for long time I drop my heal and put more effort in the bottom of the pedal stroke ( like scrapping your foot ) Im not sure if this is a good technique but it seems to work for me.
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Generally the hardrder you push or the lower the cadence the more you drop your heel.