Juicy 5 brake

BigAl
BigAl Posts: 3,122
edited October 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Are these well known as troublesome? Mine certainly are. I have them on my 2nd bike which gets infrequent use. Every time I come to use it the brakes are jammed to the rotors and there's evidence of fluid leaks from the levers.

I've replaced the seals and bled them often.

Are they just shite, am I just unlucky or should I just ditch them for some deores or similar (suggestions invited but inexpensive only)? They work well enough when serviced but I'm tired of them.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Old design, problematic. Not worth keeping on saving them.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like they have been bled incorrectly and too much fluid is in them.

peopel have issues with all brakes but these are no worse or better than any others.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • BigAl
    nicklouse wrote:
    sounds like they have been bled incorrectly and too much fluid is in them.

I bow to your greater knowledge and experience Nick, but........

a) I've followed the bleeding, bleeding instructions in the manual pretty exactly and

b) how does one put too much fluid in? Surely if too much fluid it will spill out when I remove the syringe before fitting the 'sealing bolt' (or whatever you call it)

BTW when I went to the LBS for fluid (and explained the problem) the workshop guy just rolled his eyes at the mention of juicys. He also suggested ditching them for, well, almost anything else.

Are basic Shimanos the way to go for, well, basic, vfm brakes?
  • BigAl
    supersonic wrote:

They are undeniably 'old'

Has 'design' of brakes really changed in the last 5 years?
  • I run avid x9 2012 without problems ( there was a major redesign of the lever end due to problematic air trapping ) From reading around many people have been put off by juicy brakes particularly with noise and bleed issues .

I would recommend x9 to anyone as all I have needed to do is replace pads in a years use .
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    BigAl wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

They are undeniably 'old'

Has 'design' of brakes really changed in the last 5 years?

Yes, and it is more 10 years
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    I'm running some ancient Juicy 5s on one bike. The pistons do tend to get stiff but cleaning any crud off and pushing the pistons all the way back in usually frees them up.

I replaced the seals on some newer Juicy 3s after having similar problems - one worked brilliantly, the other just kept leaking afterwards. I replaced them with some Deores because they were cheap at the time and worked a lot better.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    BigAl wrote:
    b) how does one put too much fluid in? Surely if too much fluid it will spill out when I remove the syringe before fitting the 'sealing bolt' (or whatever you call it)
    Not using the piston spacer while bleeding.....simples, many people leave the pads in and agaisnt the disc.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have had lots of Avid brakes including Juicy 3,5 & 7, Elixir 5 & X0 and BB7. All were unreliable and rubbish except the BB7
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My (antique really by the time I was using them) Juicy's were totally reliable, but they were rather on/off and lacked progression and a natural feel (amazingly some brand new XX's I tried on a demo bike felt just as nasty), Shimano really score in that area.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.