Trek FX 7.4 or FX 7.4 Disc

KieranD79
KieranD79 Posts: 13
edited October 2013 in Commuting general
Hi all, hope you can help me with my dilemma!

Just in the process of figuring out which Trek 7.4 to buy. I commute to work everyday and ride about 8-10 miles a day on road, path and sometimes the Thames Path which is mainly compressed very small gravel. My journey also involves loading my bike on a train.

Currently I use my 2004 Claud Butler Cape Wrath which is like a comfy old boot but it's wasted on the road, heavy going at times and I want to keep this for my leisure rides with family at the weekends.

I have taken an FX 7.4 on a test ride today and I like it. Fast, controllable, quick off the mark and much much lighter. But I did find it a little harsh on the hands and wrists(I'm used to suspension forks). My main concern is that it has carbon forks, which although they are supposed to be smoother than alloy, I have heard don't tend to give any signs of failure, they just fail! The other option is the FX 7.4 Disc version with alloy forks and hydro disc.

So, should I be looking at the Carbon fork for the type of surfaces I ride?
Will the alloy forks be harsher than the carbon out weighing the bonus on disc brakes? (This is what I've been told by the LBS)
Will it really be that much heavier as I can't find this on the net?

Any help would be great! Oh and it has to be a Trek as I have friends who can get me a good deal! ;)

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    When you ride rigid try and use your arms as the front suspension, this is much easier on drops and there's less chance of wrist pain as you have a more ergonomic position and plenty of different positions for long rides. So consider a CX bike as that seems like a better fit for your riding than a rigid 29er hybrid or a straight up road bike.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Hmm, thanks, I hadn't thought of relaxing my arms a bit more.

If I'm right here and thinking that CX is Cyclo-cross then the reason I haven't looked at them is because I can't stand drop bars. Each to there own and all.

Would the DS be a better option? Although it's probably a lot heavier.
  • Personally I would go with the carbon fork and rim brakes. I had the FX 7.1 and the brakes on that were superb, could stop on a dot. The carbon fork probably won't help much with off road terrain, but it will help with road buzz, don't worry about it failing, there's a lot of scare stories about carbon like that, just don't ride it in the rain because it will melt ;)

Anyway, which one, Trek 1.1, that one ;)
  • All good comments so far but is there a Trek CX that doesn't have drop bars?

In regards to the comments about disc brakes and v brakes, I'm used to mechanical disc brakes on the MTB but is rim wear a real problem with V brakes. The LBS told me the FX uses good quality rims so it could be years before I need new rims. There's also the extra weight of alloy folks and disc brakes to consider.

With the carbon folks, how would people describe road buzz? Sorry, it's all new to me.

Thanks