Switching from MTB to a Hybrid advice on choosing bike

markis
markis Posts: 43
edited April 2014 in Commuting general
I'm looking at switching from my MTB to a hybid as I don't do mud and hills anymore and it's more about fitness and urban cycling , I normally do 27km in around 1hr 25 mins, averaging 18.0 kph but I would like to go faster The bike will have to put up with pot holes, uneven pavements, as well as on and off kerbs in tight traffic that I cannot pass because cars have blocked me while they're stuck waiting.
I want speed as well and it has to have hydraulic disc brakes as I want to stop quickly and in bad conditions such as when it's chucking it down. I don't really need 3 chainset as I don't use the smallest cog on my MTB which has 27 gears. I also don't want drop bars. I have a Giant MTB but when I was in my local bike shop and explained my needs I was suggested the following, I should mention I'm prepared to go up to £1,000.
1. Giant Roam XR1
2. Specialized Cross Trail Expert Disc
3. Whyte Chiltern

Another Bike shop I went into recommended that I look at Eastway cycles. The three bikes mentioned have forks with lockout, if I didn't go for lockout would this be a problem especially when I'm up and down on kerbs. TIA.

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    Boardman hybrid.

Hydraulic discs, flat bars, double chainset, sturdy wheels and decent sized tyres so no problems handling rough roads, potholes etc. Its happy popping down a few kerbs, though you wouldn't just ride at a kerb to go up one - usually needs a bit of a pull on the bars. Mine has has been an ideal commuter in London over the last 4 years. Within your budget as well.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • You'll regret not buying a road bike IMHO , I just changed out my MTb tyres for swalbe city jet slicks for month or so then bought a road bike. So much better and great for long weekend rides. Still have the MTb for the trails as well.
    12 year old claud butler MTB
    2012 giant defy 0 (black is slimming you know!)
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Boardman hybrid.

Hydraulic discs, flat bars, double chainset, sturdy wheels and decent sized tyres so no problems handling rough roads, potholes etc. Its happy popping down a few kerbs, though you wouldn't just ride at a kerb to go up one - usually needs a bit of a pull on the bars. Mine has has been an ideal commuter in London over the last 4 years. Within your budget as well.

+1000

Also consider the Whyte Portobello/Cambridge although I think the spec of those has been dropped a little in the last year but the tyre clearances improved, which was the main reason I chose the Boardman over the Whyte.

Dont get suspension forks - they will make this kind of bike worse at what it is meant to do... I would go for carbon though as this gives you some cushioning and 28mm tyres for the same reason (and run them about 80-90psi) - if you get a bike with clearance for even wider tyres (Boardman and Whyte fit the bill here) then if you want a plusher ride you could even get 32 or 35 tyres - I never felt the need though.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For something burlier than the Boardman, have a look at the Voodoo Marasa, flat bars, hydraulic discs and you can swap out the 'all terrain' tyres for something lighter and faster rolling, better still, at £360 they are a snip!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • As above, if you're interested in speed on sealed surfaces, then it's a road bike. Oh an you just think you need disc brakes, you don't ;). £1,000 would buy you an excellent Cyclocross bike with disc brakes if you wanted to go that route; see Boardman CX Team.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I have a Boardman Hybrid Pro and it is excellent, no trouble at all in 2 1/2 years. Fast as a road bike too.
  • markis
    Thanks for the replies. There's a lot lot of support for Boardman which I will look at. No one got a Eastway bike , been on their site and bikes look impressive. Yeah I want speed as well and TBH, a road bike has been suggested to me more than once, bit I don't think it would meet my needs for what I do, also I don't want to start wearing all that gear that road cyclists wear and going for 50+ mile outings which I know I would end up doing. What speed could I average on a Hybrid ? Local bike shop said that if I'm averaging 15 mph on a MTB I can easily add another 4 mph to that, so he's saying I would be averaging 19 mph on a hybrid. What speed are you guys averaging ?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends on the type of hybrid - is a broad term. Some are faster than road bikes when set up to be.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I go faster than many people on road bikes when I ride Sportives and charity rides on my Boardman Hybrid. Mind you, lots of other people on road bikes go faster than me too! Point is that I believe I am near as damnit as fast on it as I would be on a road bike unless I spent a fortune on a carbon one and there were lots of hills where the weight saving made a big difference. The rider is the limiting factor for me, not the bike.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    apreading wrote:
    I go faster than many people on road bikes when I ride Sportives and charity rides on my Boardman Hybrid. Mind you, lots of other people on road bikes go faster than me too! Point is that I believe I am near as damnit as fast on it as I would be on a road bike unless I spent a fortune on a carbon one and there were lots of hills where the weight saving made a big difference. The rider is the limiting factor for me, not the bike.
    Same here. I passed lots of Tour de France wannabes in team lycra on the London Brighton who didn't look happy about a hybrid overtaking them - and got passed by quite a few riding old crappers :) It makes a good road bike for people who don't like drop bars.

@ the OP my average speed is rubbish due to the commute into Central London having gazillions of traffic lights to get stuck at. But you'll probably add a few mph to your average compared to an MTB. I looked at Eastway bikes and they seem pretty good - similar to the Boardman hybrid.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • I've posted this link on a couple of occasions now. This bike, for it's price is fantastic. I have a Ridgeback MTB & can tell you the quality is not lacking at all. I also have the Triban 5, who all & sundry rave about but the Ridgeback is in a totally different league in terms of quality- in every aspect!! :wink:

£490-

http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m16b159s867 ... tAodV2EATQ
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • markis
    I've posted this link on a couple of occasions now. This bike, for it's price is fantastic. I have a Ridgeback MTB & can tell you the quality is not lacking at all. I also have the Triban 5, who all & sundry rave about but the Ridgeback is in a totally different league in terms of quality- in every aspect!! :wink:

£490-

I was unaware of this, thanks for that will certainly add this to list of bikes to look at .
  • markis
    No doubt Cannondale, Focus, Cube, Scott etc all have something to look at as well. Was out tonite on my MTB and had to go through the city center, and believe me I'm so glad I have hydraulic disc brakes for the idiots, on foot and in cars.
  • I have recently spent a lot of time hybrid hunting, and opted for the Giant Escape rx disc. Can honestly say it's a fantastic bike and would recommend it in a heart beat. Nearly went down the Boardman route but the service from Halfords was shocking and I cancelled the order after the 4th damaged one came out of the box.
  • markis
    I have recently spent a lot of time hybrid hunting, and opted for the Giant Escape rx disc. Can honestly say it's a fantastic bike and would recommend it in a heart beat. Nearly went down the Boardman route but the service from Halfords was shocking and I cancelled the order after the 4th damaged one came out of the box.

Well I love the Giant brand, great bike frames, and my MTB is a Giant xtc, but will not rule out checking out other bikes for example look at Eastway bikes and see their flatbars as well as Whyte . Two brands who put hydraulic disc brakes on there bikes.
  • markis wrote:
    I have recently spent a lot of time hybrid hunting, and opted for the Giant Escape rx disc. Can honestly say it's a fantastic bike and would recommend it in a heart beat. Nearly went down the Boardman route but the service from Halfords was shocking and I cancelled the order after the 4th damaged one came out of the box.

Well I love the Giant brand, great bike frames, and my MTB is a Giant xtc, but will not rule out checking out other bikes for example look at Eastway bikes and see their flatbars as well as Whyte . Two brands who put hydraulic disc brakes on there bikes.

I got mine from Tredz. Asked if I could have a discount, and they knocked 10% off. Very pleased with them as a company and the service I had. Have sent 2 people their way for bikes already, so I guess it pays them to offer the odd discount here and there.

Here is a link to the Giant site with specs

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/2013.giant.escape.rx.disc/11837/56818/
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I wouldn't get any bike serviced by Halfords. That's not to say they are all bad, as the guy who put mine together in the Kingston store was very good. However, for servicing I use a mobile service who come and do it where I want it done.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    On 20+ mile runs I've averaged circa 18-19mph on my flat barred slick shod and disc braked Hybrid, on my commute I average about 16-17mph depending on traffic/lights etc.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    I've posted this link on a couple of occasions now. This bike, for it's price is fantastic. I have a Ridgeback MTB & can tell you the quality is not lacking at all. I also have the Triban 5, who all & sundry rave about but the Ridgeback is in a totally different league in terms of quality- in every aspect!! :wink:

£490-

mdb-3609_rbf34.jpg

Very similar looking to

RA13_RX-2p0_aluminum-blue.jpg?1343669519

Without the drops. I have one and love it
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • markis
    Have decided on the Boardman Hybrid Pro 2014 model and will be getting it through the cycle2work scheme at £36.40 per month for 18 months, which is a great saving on a £1,000 bike !