Specialized Tricross sizing

Jon_1976
Jon_1976 Posts: 690
edited November 2013 in Cyclocross
I'm looking into getting a Specialized Tricross but unsure of sizing. I'm 5'10" with a 32.5" (825mm) inseam. I'm currently running a 54 Allez which I find fine, definitely a 56 Allez would be too big for me. Unsure whether to for a 52 or 54 on the Tricross. Any help appreciated

Comments

• Hi Ive got a 52 and im 5' 8 so i would go for the 54
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I ride a 56 Tricross Single and have shorter legs, albeit only 1/2". Both my Specialized frames are 56cm.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Jon_1976
    Thanks guys. How do you go on re: standover height? Ideally, I'd prefer the 54 but looking at the geo, the standover is 805mm which isn't much less than barefoot inseam measurement (825mm). Shoes would give me a bit more clearance but I'm still a tad concerned. My 54 Allez had a standover of 798mm (so only 7mm less) and I never encountered any problems so maybe I'm over thinking it. Having said, I never straddled the top tube with the bike straight up or encountered a situation where I had to jump off the saddle and plant both feet on the ground...damn my short legs!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I ride a 56cm Specialized road bike (Allez & Tarmac) and bought a 56cm Tricross - the only change I made was to put a longer stem on it (120mm) as I felt quite cramped when on the hoods or drops. But I use it for commuting & general riding rather than CX racing ...
    Never have an issue with standover height .. not sure 7mm would make any difference either!
  • Jon_1976
    Slow bike, agreed. I was over thinking the whole standover issue. Ordered a 54 and it arrived yesterday, went out for a couple of short rides and it feels great. Might have to go to a slightly longer stem as my left knee brushed the drops a couple of times when out of the saddle. No big deal, I'm enjoying the shorter reach compared to the Allez so might leave it.
    Does anyone know if the axis 2.0 rim will be ok with 25mm road tyres on? Just curious in case I do a road only ride, might put the road tyres on.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Wheels should be fine with 25mm on.
    I put 23mm on my TriCross wheels (Alexrims) for a bit ...
  • Also did fine with 25mm tyres on Alex rims
  • Jon_1976
    thanks for the replies :D