Riding in the Rain

Peddle Up!
Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
edited November 2013 in Road beginners
Did fifty miles on Sunday morning in the pouring rain. I got wet, of course (from the inside as well as the outside :) ) but I kept warm. Against expectations I rather enjoyed it. Is it just me? :?
Purveyor of "up" :)

Comments

• dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    As long as you have the right gear on it's not that bad, glad you enjoyed it-plenty more where that came from!
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Some of my most enjoyable riding has been in heavy rain. I love it.

As long as you can stay warm, even if you get wet, then it's a really life affirming feeling at times.

Equally, some of my most miserable, soul-searching moments have been in the rain.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    No such thing as bad weather just the wrong gear.
  • rpherts
    rpherts Posts: 207
    I utterly loathe riding in rain, even light rain. It means yet another cleaning session for the bike.

Strangely, I prefer to run in the rain though.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    rpherts wrote:
    I utterly loathe riding in rain, even light rain. It means yet another cleaning session for the bike.
    Er - hose ... ?

Takes 30 seconds to hose off the bike at the end of the ride ... wipe down and lube check should be done if it's wet or dry...
    rpherts wrote:
    Strangely, I prefer to run in the rain though.
    yer - proved it ... you're weird! ;)
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    I hate cycling in rain.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Got wet this morning, but i did enjoy the ride :)
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Simon-R7 wrote:
    Got wet this morning, but i did enjoy the ride :)

Me to, my all weather gear passed the test, freezing fog followed by rain.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    I always dread it to begin with because I think Ill just end up cold wet & it will be miserable, but I do end up enjoying it, but I kinda like the rain anyway and generally the kit I have keeps me mostly warm enough and bits of me drier than most (I really must get a decent rain top) just need to waterproof my shoes.

though I wasnt so impressed with the roads flooding last week due to all the leaves blocking the drains and it being for the first real rain for ages made the roads slippier than Im that comfortable with when your dealing with diesel/oil on the road too, you also worry slightly more that car drivers are even more removed from the conditions and paying less attention with steamed up windows, reflections & lights etc.

but on the whole yeah Id say I probably enjoy it
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    Depends on how much it's raining! A few weeks ago in a thunderstorm, not really that nice. Last night a small training ride in the dark with continuous drizzle, just lovely!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    I love it, especially riding on my own. Riding in a group in the rain can be unpleasant. I find it quite refreshing and feel like I've achieved an advantage over people who decided not to ride. The only things I don't like are

1. Getting soaked on my way to work (especially in the summer when the heating is off in the office) as we don't have showers and the kit tends to still be wet when I have to put it back on.

2. Riding in heavy traffic as I know when I drive how difficult it can be to see cyclists in heavy spray even when looking for them (and as we know most drivers don't look!).

I tend not to bother with waterproof clothing as I'd rather be wet from the rain than from sweat. As long as I'm warm I don't mind being wet.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    Did fifty miles on Sunday morning in the pouring rain. I got wet, of course (from the inside as well as the outside :) ) but I kept warm. Against expectations I rather enjoyed it.

How about riding in sleet/snow up on the Cotswold hills in early March? I seem to recall that didn't go down well with you last year :)
  • Peddle Up!
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    Did fifty miles on Sunday morning in the pouring rain. I got wet, of course (from the inside as well as the outside :) ) but I kept warm. Against expectations I rather enjoyed it.

How about riding in sleet/snow up on the Cotswold hills in early March? I seem to recall that didn't go down well with you last year :)

I would respectfully refer the poster to my qualifier "but I kept warm". Makes all the difference. :D:D
  • rpherts
    rpherts Posts: 207
    Slowbike wrote:
    rpherts wrote:
    Er - hose ... ?

Only an option if you live in a house, with a yard...and a hose. If you live in a flat, quite high up, it becomes a bit more difficult...
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    rpherts wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    rpherts wrote:
    Er - hose ... ?

Only an option if you live in a house, with a yard...and a hose. If you live in a flat, quite high up, it becomes a bit more difficult...

hang it out of the window and hose it there ...

or put it in the bath ... :lol:

yer - I can see where not having easy access to cleaning & storage makes it more of a pain ...
  • Cygnus
    Cygnus Posts: 1,879
    I don't like riding in the rain. If I see it raining out then I will stay in but if it starts raining when I'm out on the bike then I don't cut my ride short, I stick to the planned route. The way I see it is I'm already soaked so I can't get any wetter.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    The worst thing for me is getting my feet and shoes soaked.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    Agree with that, especially when you walk in the house and it all squeezes back out over the floor leading to a b***ocking off the wife!
  • I think I fear the thought of the rain rather than the reality of it, always try my hardest to avoid it but when it does rain - ah well whatever :)
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Right gear makes weather a mere speck of relevance on a ride.

Unless you're riding behind someone with crap or no mudguards :(
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I hate riding in the rain. Compromises visibility and braking, road furniture becomes slippery. You get wet, which is a pain whatever kit you are wearing especially if you have to ride home in the same kit. Your bike gets filthy, and more wear likely especially to rims / brake blocks. Its just all round s**t, who would lke that?!
  • Peddle Up!
    BigMat wrote:
    I hate riding in the rain. Compromises visibility and braking, road furniture becomes slippery. You get wet, which is a pain whatever kit you are wearing especially if you have to ride home in the same kit. Your bike gets filthy, and more wear likely especially to rims / brake blocks. Its just all round s**t, who would lke that?!
    Er, me? :)
  • I quite enjoy riding in the rain, put on the right gear and it can be quite fun! Its getting cold I done like- when your hands get so numb you cant change gear easily!
  • Neil_aky
    Neil_aky Posts: 211
    As long as I have shoe covers I'm fine.
  • I don't like the rain full stop - riding my bike in it gives me no pleasure
  • I find a certain sense of satisfaction when getting back from a wet ride. Got it done, cup of tea and a warm shower and all is good.
  • Whilst I prefer not to set off for a ride in the rain I don't mind it raining during my ride as I find it helps keep me cool.

I did a 45 mile ride the other week starting in the Kielder Forest area across the border and back through continuous rain to the point that everything had to be rung out by the time I got back. Only time I felt cold was when I stopped for 5 minutes to see the winner of the Kielder marathon come in but soon warmed up again when I set off back to the hotel.
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    If its tipping it down before i start then i usually wont bother going out

However if i am already riding and it starts to rain i actually really enjoy it. I find it refreshing and it keeps me cool.

I guess the solution for me is to splash out on some decent waterproof kit as the stuff i have tends to act like a greenhouse
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • uhf79
    uhf79 Posts: 5
    Having only just taken up cycling before the weather turned and then getting addicted I tend to still go out in the rain as I don't want my newly gained fitness to drop throughout the rainy season. I invested in a decent high vis water proof jacket for cycling which helps massively.

Luckily we have a lot of cycle tracks running parallel to the roads where I live so I can get that road feeling without the dangers of night and wet cycling on the actual roads.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    rpherts wrote:

I wouldn't recommend riding an expensive bike you love in the rain. Especially if the roads have been gritted too. Last winter tortured by groupset and I ended up having to do a lot of repairs / servicing on the bike and get a few bits replaced. You'd be amazed how much crud gets kicked up on wet tarmac and where it ends up.

A few cycling addicts I know own a few bikes... A best bike for sportives and a cheaper bike for winter training.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby