Wiggle returns dilema

daddy0
daddy0 Posts: 686
edited October 2013 in Commuting chat
So around a year ago I purchased a Moon Meteor and Comet light set from Wiggle. Great set of lights. Just under a year later I lent the lights to my brother so he could ride home safely one night. It was a really wet night and the next day the front Meteor light had died - probably due to water damage.

So I filled out the Wiggle return form and sent it back. They are refusing to send me a replacement until I send them, the still working, Comet rear light. They're reasoning is that they were purchased as part of a set. I don't want to send them back my rear light - I need it and would have to purchase a replacement. What if I'd lost the Comet, would my warranty not be valid on the Meteor? I once bought a TV and DVD player together as part of a package, and when the DVD player went wrong I didn't also have to send the TV back... Both the Meteor and Comet are available to purchase separately, so I would've thought someone somewhere would use their brain and be able to process a warranty replacement for part of the set... Seems a bit "computer says no" to me.

Anyway, has anyone else had a similar issue, in particular with Wiggle? Any advice?

I have e-mailed Wiggle back to say "Really??? Thats really annoying. Are you sure?", and also e-mailed the supplier to say something along the lines of "Wiggle said this.. WTF??". Will report what I get back.

Comments

• petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Presumably they are going to replace the whole set for you. Sounds like pretty good service, just send it back and get a complete new set. Most likely they will need to send the full set back to the supplier to get a credit.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Did they not ask for their haribo back?
  • Wiggle will be making their own claim against their supplier. They need both lights to be able to do so.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    duh if your bought it as a set why wouldnt they want the whole set back? if you bought a car and the engine broke would you just send the engine back?

:lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I bought an Exposure lightset from them and the front light didn't work properly, they didn't have any more in stock so I emailed and said I don't want to return the set, I want the front light repaired. A couple of days later I got an email saying return it all to us and we'll do you a credit. So I contacted Exposure direct and had the light repaired and back to me in a couple of days including carriage each way. Great service from Exposure, not so hot from Wiggle. I guess they are too big to mess around and just want it all easy and neat.
    I know who to blame.
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    I may be late on this;
    Never mind that I've just seen Wiggle are now charging for orders <£10

WTF!?

Sorry Daddy0, think the set replacement can't be sniffed at either even if it's not convenient to yourself :|
    I see what your getting at but, PeteMadoc is probably spot on :)
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    I bought an Exposure lightset from them and the front light didn't work properly, they didn't have any more in stock so I emailed and said I don't want to return the set, I want the front light repaired. A couple of days later I got an email saying return it all to us and we'll do you a credit. So I contacted Exposure direct and had the light repaired and back to me in a couple of days including carriage each way. Great service from Exposure, not so hot from Wiggle. I guess they are too big to mess around and just want it all easy and neat.
    I know who to blame.

Wiggle have no facility or ability to repair. They offer a credit to make it easier for you and, if in stock, you get the replacement faster,

IF they had agreed to repair they would simply send it to exposure adding days to the turnaround.

Seems fine to me
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • daddy0
    Well, how wrong you all were - got a reply from Wiggle today saying that they would send a replacement front light without having to be sent the rear. The order confirmation e-mail looks like they're sending me the whole set, but I guess they might take out the rear... Will let you know.

I think most likely the UK supplier said "we'll send you /credit Wiggle a new set, just thrown the broken one away - its not worth our while dealing with it and we trust Wiggle". This is the way my suppliers at work operate, and when I worked in a shop any item under £100 RRP would be written off and replaced without any fuss as it wasn't worth the hassle.

Contrary to Veronese68's experience I got a reply from the UK supplier (in Engrish) and they said I would indeed need to send back both lights. So in my experience Wiggle came out looking ok in the end, and Moon not so much.

Just waiting to hear about refund of delivery costs.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I know who to blame.

Wiggle have no facility or ability to repair. They offer a credit to make it easier for you and, if in stock, you get the replacement faster,

IF they had agreed to repair they would simply send it to exposure adding days to the turnaround.

Seems fine to me
    Sorry, badly worded on my part. I didn't ask them to repair it, I said I wanted it sent off for repair. It did save time going direct, but as I'd bought through Wiggle I thought they should handle it.
    Glad for Daddy O that they have sorted him out at least, can't blame them.
  • daddy0
    One last update. Wiggle did indeed send me a replacement set of Moon lights. So I now have two working rear lights - woo hoo! (Got Haribo too).
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Wiggle have been pretty good to me in the past. When the helmet pads in my kask mojito dissolved after 5 months service and I asked just for a new set of pads, they sourced from Kask and sent them direct, along with haribo. No quibbles.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    Daddy0 wrote:
    One last update. Wiggle did indeed send me a replacement set of Moon lights. So I now have two working rear lights - woo hoo! (Got Haribo too).

Now I know what to do. Where's my screwdriver?