cassette when to change ?

swod1
swod1 Posts: 1,639
edited October 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I've done alot of miles over the months riding to work and back and also weekend rides.

i wonder should i change the cassette ?

The reason i ask this is because i've replaced the chain and the front chainset these were worn and could feel the new chain slipping on the front rings.

the cassette was only fitted in july to a new wheel and looks fine comparing it to worn pics on google/park tools etc.

Since the new chainset was fitted, i have noticed very slight chain slippage on the gears 8/9.

I'm looking to upgrade to 10spd in the new year so ideally i dont want to buy a new 9spd cassette if i can avoid it.

Should i just ride it until the cassette is more worn and then replace with the 10spd kit i want to buy ?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    If it is slipping then it doesn't work as intended. Buy a chain checker and change before terminal wear sets in.

If it doesn't bother you then leave, but cassettes are available from about a tenner up.
  • swod1
    If it is slipping then it doesn't work as intended. Buy a chain checker and change before terminal wear sets in.
    If it doesn't bother you then leave, but cassettes are available from about a tenner up.

Apologies if my post was unclear, the chain has been replaced with a new one.

it is very slight so I just wonder if it's the difference because he chain is new and not stretched ?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If the new chain is slipping the cassette was worn to the old one and needs replacing, if it's only 8/9 you may be able to find some spare cogs rather than a whole cassette.

That or you have crud trapped between the sprockets and it's lifting the chain off......ferns do that really well!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    You can either use one of those chain wear tools or just replace when it starts to slip.

When I used to do a lot of mountain biking I used to fit a new cassette and chain each spring which would last until the following year with no issues. Then I just replaced it again the following year. In the middle of nowhere best to have a bike you can trust.
  • swod1
    The Rookie wrote:
    If the new chain is slipping the cassette was worn to the old one and needs replacing, if it's only 8/9 you may be able to find some spare cogs rather than a whole cassette.

That or you have crud trapped between the sprockets and it's lifting the chain off......ferns do that really well!

The thing is it's not doing it constant, it's random when it happens.

I'm thinking replace it and learn my lesson on regularly checking chain for wear.