Upgrading from Santa Cruz Superlight - which bike?

Woody80
Woody80 Posts: 324
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
After some help for my friend from the collective wisdom of the internet :D

He's got a Santa Cruz Superlight which he's decided isn't burly enough so wants a longer travel steed. He's looking to spend a maximum of £2.5k. He'll consider any wheel sizes.

Our riding is a mix of natural and trail centres; Peak District, Cannock, Llandegla, BPW, FoD etc. and I'm trying to get him on our annual trip to the Alps for uplift assisted riding.

Now he's committed (bike is on eBay) he will have a spin out on my Canyon Strive and a mates Titus El Guapo to see what he thinks of those.

What ideas are there on suggestions, he's currently tempted by a Commencal AM1 29er since CRC have them on sales:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/commencal-meta-am1-29er-suspension-bike-2013/rp-prod83506

Comments

• passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    he said a budget of 2.5k not 4k ;)

Try Modraker, Lappier, the new commencal ride very well though tyre clearance is an issue apparently.
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324

Try Modraker, Lappier, the new commencal ride very well though tyre clearance is an issue apparently.
    I'd thought about suggesting a Zesty. I've had one (and a Spicy) previously and it was great. Shame he's only just decided to swap as another mate just sold a Zesty which would have been ideal and left loads of upgrade money!
  • passout

Not sure what you mean TBH? The Orange is about 2.5k in its basic form isn't it?
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Take a look at the Nukeproof Mega TR (Or AM)
    Good value for money, solid, slack and with great reviews

Transition Bandit is worth a look too
    Also have a flick through the used bike ads
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Giant Trance 1. Not bad value and I have been told its a very good ride.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    passout wrote:

Not sure what you mean TBH? The Orange is about 2.5k in its basic form isn't it?

And that's the problem - it's basic!
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    supersonic wrote:
    passout wrote:

Just about sums it up
  • passout
    ej2320 wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    passout wrote:

Just about sums it up

I agree that the spec is basic & that there are better value options around. But I trust the frame - very reliable & good quality IMO. bnlike the Commencal Meta I had a few yrs back which was faulty & needed the rear triangle replacing. Personally I would not take a chance with a FS Commencal again, once burnt etc. I also really like the way the orange rides.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Squeeze another 600 out of him and he can go to a Santa Cruz Blur TR or Bronson in a relatively base spec - but its still got good forks and rear shock just basic gearing but upgrades follow as it wears. He already likes the basic SC geometry.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.