Catapulted over car bonnet this morning.

2»

Comments

• Bustacapp
    Bustacapp Posts: 971
    Make your mind up

I'm sorry, but you've failed in your attempt to act the pedantic little turd. Please work on your reading comprehension:
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Fortunately said oncoming vehicles slowed down (presumably to prepare their smartphones to capture images which could be uploaded to liveleak), and in their disappointment that I was still breathing they then drove off.

They didn't stop, they slowed down which meant they managed to avoid running me over. I suppose you think it unreasonable of me to not jump from crumpled heap in road and run down the road chasing potential witnesses in their vehicles?
  • Bustacapp
    I think I will at least report the accident to Police. I have a Strava log of the ride - not sure if that would be valid in court though.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,363
    I would disagree with Mikey on the staying down bit. If you can move get the fook out of the road before some cockwomble drives you over. I had a minor accident racing minimotos a few years back. At least it was minor until the guy in 3rd ploughed into the side of me breaking 3 of my ribs.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Not to criticize the op but it surprises me how few seem to be prepared for the possibility of an accident, either to self or others... Both in terms of insurance and coping strategy...

I would have been inclined to have stayed down on the basis that I might have head or neck injuries, damage to bones or internal organs. If that had happened then witnesses would have been available, the authorities would have been involved and the offending driver would not have been able to pass on his details and flee the scene
    From my experience events go like this:-
    1. Okay, I got hit but I am alive. Get off the road. NOW!
    2. Am I okay? Feels like it.
    3. Wheres the bike? Is it okay?
    4. Give the driver abuse.
    5. Adrenaline running down, sit down and re-assess health.
    6. Think about witnesses. Probably too late by this point unless they are volunteering to act as witnesses.
    7. "Negotiate" with driver.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Hi, glad your OK.
    Hope you get your bike fixed soon!
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    I would disagree with Mikey on the staying down bit. If you can move get the fook out of the road before some cockwomble drives you over. I had a minor accident racing minimotos a few years back. At least it was minor until the guy in 3rd ploughed into the side of me breaking 3 of my ribs.

I got knocked off on a roundabout. Ended up lying in the road, even so my first thought was to get onto the grass as quickly as possible, and then lie down over there!

However a few days later a heard through a friend someone who'd witnessed the accident, say unbeknownst to me another car had come close to hitting me while I was lying on the ground!
  • Your Strava log may have value even if it cant be used in a court. Ideally you dont want it to get to court unless you are looking for a huge payout for injury etc.

In my case my Garmin accurately recorded the events leading up to the collision including my attempt to dodge round the back of the vehicle turning across my path, shortly followed by my speed falling to zero and my heart rate hitting 220 as I arrived on the ground. My version of events never varied from what the Garmin recorded. Unlike the driver who tried everything including stating I had ridden into the side of his "stationary" vehicle. I had no witnesses either. It was settled out of court eventually to cover the repairs to the bike and some "hassle factor" compensation.
  • Your Strava log may have value even if it cant be used in a court. Ideally you dont want it to get to court unless you are looking for a huge payout for injury etc.

Haven't read the hole thread, but was the OP racing a Strava segment!?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Ok, I take the point. It's easy to come out with these sweeping generalisations from the comfort of your armchair...My off was on a cycle trail so not quite the same level of risk as a busy road in the rush hour!
  • Bustacapp
    Haven't read the hole thread, but was the OP racing a Strava segment!?

No he wasn't.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,671
    Veronese68 wrote:
    It really depends. I thought I'd sprained my ankle initially, when it was in fact in several dozen pieces. Had I taken the invitation of the nurse who happened to be passing to go to the side of the road, I may well have ended any chance of walking normally again. Fortunately I thought it might just possibly be dislocated so I declined.

For those who think they know what they'd do. You don't until it happens. Trust me.

OP - What you do now depends on how much hassle you want. If you call the police, you'll have to give a statement. If it was a fender bender between two vehicles, the police wouldn't be involved. Its completely your call. The most optomistic outcome is a fine for careless driving, but even that's unlikely.

I've not managed to spot in the thread whether or not you damaged the car. The one time I was doored and ended up in a similar situation, there was a fairly good bike shaped dent in the car. I think G66 pointed out that the physical evidence might be enough on its own.
  • Mikey23
    Fortunately, the decision was not in my hands because I couldn't move and I was out of it anyway. So totally reliant on the actions of others. The choices they made on my behalf were good ones ...
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Fortunately, the decision was not in my hands because I couldn't move and I was out of it anyway. So totally reliant on the actions of others. The choices they made on my behalf were good ones ...

Fancy finding you on this thread Mikey!
  • Ballysmate wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:

Fancy finding you on this thread Mikey!

Has Mikey had another accident?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Mikey23
    Aww shucks guys...