Giant trance owners! Advice please!

tigertang0
tigertang0 Posts: 33
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi all. I just sold my giant anthem 29. Its a great trail bike but i need something that requires less skill to maneuver. I am riding more black diamond trails now and the steep head tube angle and aggressive geometry needs more body English for the technical parts, and i am not a skilled rider as i am coming from the road scene. I already have an XC hardtail 29er which i use for tamer trails, now i need a versatile trail bike. I am looking at the giant trance, i am bothered by which wheelsize i should get. Does the trance 29 handle well? Should i get the 650b? If you had to pick a fun and fast trail bike, which would it be? And how does the trance climb? Other bike suggestions are also welcomed just keep the price tag at about 3000usd. Many thanks! :D
Battaglin 3 Cime
Jamis Exile race 29er
Schwinn Madison

Comments

• I'd go for the 650b Trance, in fact I don't think you'll have much choice soon. At least from Giant.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I'm getting a demo on a Trance 27.5 in a couple weeks. I'm not convinced 650b will be any better than 26" but theres not a lot of choice anymore.
    I have been told by someone who has ridden one that it's the best trail bike. He usually only seem to like expensive, exotoc stuff so I guess it should be good.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'd hold out for a hoverbike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    I have recently bought a trance 29er pretty much for the reasons you have asked about above. Not much skill, slack head, skills compensator, it handles fast and light, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. I also had a bried shot on a 650b trance, felt good, but really not that much different from a 26 tbh.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Ignoring the 65b bit, the new trance seems to address most of the changes that owners would like to see, slightly slacker head angle, a bit more travel and tabs for a chain guide.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • TownyDC
    TownyDC Posts: 157
    I have one of those new 27.5 Trances, love it to bits, previous ride was an Anthem, complete change in geometry and travel to the xc ride but no regrets so far.