Rockshox reba 2010

petegee56
petegee56 Posts: 20
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
Looking to upgrade the fork on my carrera Vulcan 2012 ( suntour xcm 120mm ) I have come across some 2010 rockshox reba dual air, look in excellent nick and just serviced, I'm struggling to find any reviews of the rebas from this year anyone know if they were any good or should I spend the extra 130 or so quid getting 2013 rebas from merlin cycles

The seller says the forks have not had a huge amount of use but at that age will they still hold up

Sorry I'm a newbie

Pete

Comments

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    It will be a cracking fork if the condition is as you say, although I thought the Vulcan ran 100mm forks?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • It's a 120mm fork on the Vulcan although the bike radar review said the struggled to get more than 100mm put of it. Any more advice on how to tell the condition of a fork, stanchions look immaculate could of cosmetic scratches on the paint but nothing major
  • The best way is to get it on a bike and try it out. My old Rebas lose a bit of air every ride (even though they have been rebuilt and serviced by SRAM).
    I would put in some air then ride it around the block pushing down on the fork and pulling it up over curbs.
    Then recheck the amount of air in them.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The best way is to get it on a bike and try it out. My old Rebas lose a bit of air every ride (even though they have been rebuilt and serviced by SRAM).
    I would put in some air then ride it around the block pushing down on the fork and pulling it up over curbs.
    Then recheck the amount of air in them.
    This will never work as as soon as you attach the pump they will drop by ~20psi.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Which is probably why yours seem to lose air.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    +1, the very fact he suggests the test means he doesn't understand what is happening! Besides the amount of air (volume) stays the same, it's just the pressure that changes!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • G-S
    G-S Posts: 19
    The Reba is a good solid performer, which should be fine with your frame, looking at the Geometry I would feel fine putting anyting up to 130mm on it. The 2010 dual air model is good fork, although you may have to play around with the pressures a little, as the Reba tend's to have 'sweet spot's' in terms of how it performs for you. It will certainly be an upgrade on anything with XCM written on it. If it were, me it would be a no brainer.
  • Well it will be an online purchase so wont get to test it out anyway, I guess my main concern was the age really and spotting a fork that has had a hard life and one thats got lots of life left. no doubt it would be an upgrade on my fork. i knew i should have not listened to the wife and bought a cheap bike to start with
  • petegee56 wrote:
    i knew i should have not listened to the wife and bought a cheap bike to start with

Your wife gave you permission to buy a MORE expensive bike ... and you turned her down??!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
  • My mistake ... just re-read the end of your last post ... she didn't give you permission to buy a more expensive bike, did she? :oops: :oops:

Ah well, at least we're back to the ususal order of things!
  • Indeed. She allows me use of my testicles every now and again but not as often as I would like . However I think I can get away with a new fork. I tried for a whole new bike abut no luck. So will the 2010 fork be a disaster or worth a punt at the lower price than a 2013 leaving me some cash for something else as well
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The problem with used forks is they can look perfect on the outside and have fooked internals.
    Ask for a scanned copy of the service invoice, if its recent and doesn't highlight any problems you should be good.
  • G-S
    G-S Posts: 19
    What RockmonkeySC said above is the best advice I have ever seen on this forum. +1