Replacing my '98 Rockhopper

shredhead
shredhead Posts: 67
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
I've reluctantly concluded I'm going to have to replace my Deore-equipped 98 Rockhopper which will be converted into a town / commuter / hack bike.
Various bike shops are recommending a 29er. I don't like the shape of the Rockhopper much and would like a steel frame. Any recommendations in the sub-£1000 range please?
Ta.

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Where are you going to be riding?

On one 456 is a penny under a grand...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why would you like steel? Please don't wheel out the old hackneyed 'it's more comfortable line' that may have been true 15 years ago but no longer......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The Rookie wrote:
    Why would you like steel? Please don't wheel out the old hackneyed 'it's more comfortable line' that may have been true 15 years ago but no longer......

You would be surprised my 1996 Orange C16R XC steel bike is more comfortable from a frame point of view than my Aluminium Carve. I still prefer the Carve but the ride is harsher due to the stiffer frame.
  • stuisnew
    stuisnew Posts: 366
    My steel Genesis feels more compliant than any aluminium frame I have had. That's not to say it's better but I do feel slightly less beaten up.