Homemade headset removal tool

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited October 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I Just want to check, a brass pipe will dent before an alu headset?

My bit of wood is struggling to remove my tapered headset so will need to make something more substantial.

I don't fancy buying a steel one as I assume it will destroy the alu headset...

Cheers

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    I don't imagine a standard rocket tool will do too much damage as long as it has a good purchase on the headset. You can even make one out of an old seatpost or a piece of pipe - is that what you were planning?
  • Making one out of copper should be fine as I remember 20+ years ago my brother made one of these out of steel and it never caused any damage to ali headsets, although his design had a larger contact area than just the end of a split tube.

I also remember for a headset press we used a large diameter threaded bar, some suitably large nuts and a few large washers and I made a brilliant workstand out of scaffold poles, only problem was over-tightening the clamp would easily crush frame tubes.
  • Cool, will pick up some pipe from B&Q tomorrow and try it out!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Steel is fine. With whatever you use make sure the contact edge is perpendicular to the tube axis.

If you use a soft material you will have a one shot at it before the tool is most likely useless.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    I tried to make one out of copper pipe but found the copper bent too easily and failed to work properly on a really stuck headset. Second attempt made from a sawn-off aluminum seatpost is much more effective. You can borrow it if you like (IIRC you live somewhere near Radyr - I'm in Ton).

Also have ladder rack clamps that make a very effective press when set up right with a few sockets of the right size. viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=12912981&p=18223554&hilit=headset+press#p18223554
  • Yeah don't mind if its a one use, need to get this headset out with zero damage as its going back for a warranty return. Managed to get the top cup out fine but the bottom is more difficult as there is no edge at the front of the cup.

Cheers Jimothy, I'll give this a go but if all else fails I'll drop you a PM!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Yeah don't mind if its a one use, need to get this headset out with zero damage as its going back for a warranty return. Managed to get the top cup out fine but the bottom is more difficult as there is no edge at the front of the cup.

Cheers Jimothy, I'll give this a go but if all else fails I'll drop you a PM!
    then i would get the correct tool as then it will only have the expected damage.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown