5by3 mtb 2013/14

WindyG
WindyG Posts: 1,099
edited February 2014 in XC and Enduro
Anybody else taking part this weekend or any of the other rounds?
http://fivebythreemtb.com/

Comments

• Tomskii
    Tomskii Posts: 20
    I'm going to haul my ass up to Norfolk and ride it this weekend, if the weather's not too apocalyptic. I don't think we've met, but you've probably overtaken me a few times during MSG :D
  • WindyG
    Weather is looking a bit mixed which isn't a bad thing as it was too dry in the summer and very loose in the woods. Fritton Lake is a nice short fast course and nothing technical other than a short downhill section and some tight turns to small short climbs. I'm sure our paths has crossed and some point at MSG which cat were you in and what race number?
  • Tomskii
    I've been 'racing' in the open all year (or at least rounds 1,2,3,4 & 7). I'm some way off being mediocre, let alone competitive. This year I was number 72.

Thanks for the info on the curcuit, sounds like something I might have fun riding
  • WindyG
    I was in open, I skipped rounds 5 and 7
    You will have fun for sure.
  • Tomskii
    I enjoyed the MSG courses except langdon where (my bike was a bit overgeared/I'm not strong enough). I'm hoping for more of the same from 5by3, just colder.
  • stylish
    stylish Posts: 168
    See you there Windy, I'm on official duties this time, looking forward to it if im honest, can't be as busy as Hadliegh, unless you bin it into the lake!
  • WindyG
    stylish wrote:
    See you there Windy, I'm on official duties this time, looking forward to it if im honest, can't be as busy as Hadliegh, unless you bin it into the lake!

Yeah I think you'll have it a little easier, I guess Jack is racing, Amy won't do it despite me getting her a new bike too. I don't think I could do any worse than binning after that awesome start I got in the summer :oops:
  • WindyG
    Tomskii wrote:
    I enjoyed the MSG courses except langdon where (my bike was a bit overgeared/I'm not strong enough). I'm hoping for more of the same from 5by3, just colder.

You soon get over the cold, it won't be any worse than that first MSG round at Tunstall. I think the weather is supposed to possible showers but temp around 17c
  • stylish
    stylish Posts: 168
    It won't be cold on Sunday, just damp! The winter series is where it gets cold, usually a minus number too!
  • WindyG
    Came 14th which was good considering the cold I've been fighting off.
    Tomskii you did better than you thought you had, good to meet up with you too.
  • WindyG
    Good to anybody on here taking part in Rd2. I'm still out injured but will be along to watch.
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    Hi everyone,

Me and my friend are entering the race on the 16th Feb I believe its held at a school. I was wondering what sort of experience people had that take part as this will be our first race. Anybody have any experience of the route and what to expect? Also pointers for a first time racer? Thanks
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • WindyG
    The route will most likely change a little bit from last year, but generally it isn't very technical, more a physical drain if your fitness isn't up to scratch. Experience levels range from beginners to seasoned local racers, overall it is aimed at being a small fun event. I'm looking forward to it as long as it isn't raining as the grass sections get muddy and drag.
  • jon1993
    That's great thanks we have been waiting ages for a more local race to come up but no such look so we have bit the bullet and driving 4 hours to enter this one lol. Do you think the route is best suited for my Boardman HT or spark 30 C? Thanks
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • WindyG
    You have pre entered havn't you? the places for the rounds so far have all sold out. I'm lucky as it's only 30mins down the road for me. There is a race there on the 19th Jan so I might be able to tell you more after that if there is much change from last year. The Boardman HT will be fine a full suss would be a bit overkill to be honest, i'll be using my Scott HT.
  • jon1993
    Yes already entered thanks and alright for some haha. If you would that would be great thanks just so I sort of know what to expect. Thanks again
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • WindyG
    Yesterday's race was great, a fun well thought out course, very muddy and slippy in places which did make the laps a little slower than they normally would have been. A nice mix of flowing wooded sections, one tough climb, a drop in leading to some tighter twisty bits, the rest was made up of grass and a short tarmac start/finish. You will only need a hardtail and decent tyres for mud if it's another wet one.

I made a good start and was running 10th but couldn't hold the front runners pace so slipped back to 17th overall which was a good enough result for me.
  • jon1993
    Well done thats pretty good out of 40 is it? Sounds fun was a little bit worried it would be all grass from their description and a bit boring but that sounds fun, cant wait now. Is the route marked out prior to the race to have a quick look? Thanks alot for that
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • WindyG
    It was out of 53. You can do practice laps before and after the U12's race which you should do anyway.
  • jon1993
    That's a lot of people and I'm sure we will. We will be trying to make it as much of a day as possible with it being so far away anyway lol
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • WindyG
    It's half the size I've got used to. The actual venue is decent with plenty of parking and a catering van for drinks with some food and cakes. Always a good atmosphere and a good mix of riders. Long way though for an hour's racing.
  • WindyG
    jon1993 wrote:
    That's a lot of people and I'm sure we will. We will be trying to make it as much of a day as possible with it being so far away anyway lol

So did you come down and race?
  • jon1993
    Well that was an awesome experience for my first race although the suspense is killing me not knowing where I finished as its still not been put on the British cycling website yet :(
    Any idea when it will be put on and is this normal to have to wait a few days to find out your position?
    Well done everyone and hope I didn't take too much of the countryside home with me in my helmet after my spectacular face plant!
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • WindyG
    The results were put up last night http://fivebythreemtb.com/2013-2014-series-race-results-and-reports/taverham-hall-school-round-4-16th-february-2014/

I did badly, wasn't feeling well all day Sat and in the morning, got a bad start and dropped to around 15th and just went backwards after that, oddly though I got a KOM on Strava over that log. Great course, much better than last time as it had dried out with all the wind on Saturday.
  • jon1993
    I would have thought you must have finished around when I did then but its a very rough guess cant really tell where I came If Im honest I just know that my 2 crashes definitely didn't help lol lesson learnt for next time I suppose even so that's not bad considering how many people where there and the few at the front where nutters haha
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • WindyG
    Where did you finish? If you liked that then you will enjoy the next round. 43 riders is a small size race and yes some of them up front are nutters and just fly around so quick.
  • jon1993
    Just had a look now I came 15th so gutted about my crash with a 10min lap then second 7min something so hopefully in my next one ill be a bit more competitive and remember not to start freezing my arse off taking a while to get going then my second crash giving me a 9 min lap bit pants but overall I think for my very first race that's satisfactory I suppose.
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • WindyG
    You should be very happy with that result, the top ten was pretty much locked out before the race even started so to finish where you did for a first race is good going. Are you doing the next round it'll be a little be less of a distance for you. I remember seeing you now shivering on the start :-) There are some pics of you here http://www.flickr.com/photos/randomoldbloke/sets/
  • jon1993
    What level racers where the guys at the front i assume there in the points races? I was pretty cold it has to be said lol. I was the perfect temperature when i got going just took a while. I doubt we will be doing the next one simply because of the distance it was 400 miles round trip once we visited the trail centre after. That said id love to do it again was great fun and im sure we will do it again regardless of the distance but just seems a little silly when we have now found races only 40miles away. I think we are doing the altura series starting at dalby forest which will be an awesome track i think there following the world cup route which is pretty tecnical XD.
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • WindyG
    The EHF riders are pretty much a pro team now covering most categories from Juvenile to Expert/Elite, Iceni Velo who I am with is a club made up of all level of riders with some of them very quick and last year they had some good results including wins the other riders and a mix of quick roadies and cx racers. Don't blame you for not wanting to travel that far too often.