Replacement rear brake for Voodoo Bantu?

stevekav1
stevekav1 Posts: 12
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,

I need to replace the back disc brake on my Voodoo Bantu. I'm not very conversant with the techy stuff for my bike, so can't really explain whats broken with it. I've had it fixed a couple of times now, by a shop that I trust, so I know its not their incompetence. The guy told me if the problem persisted, it would just be a better idea to swap it out. So now, there's no bite on the back again, so going to have it replaced.

Currently it is a Shimano BR-M445. Same brake as the front, which has been flawless, so I'm happy to just replace for the same. Problem is, I'm having trouble sourcing it. Anybody know where I can get one? Or, any suggestions for a replacement? I'm on a budget so no super-high-end stuff!

Thanks!

Steve

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What's wrong with it?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    What's wrong with it?

Basically, the biting point of the brake is when I have pulled the brake lever almost completely in. This is the third time it has done this. First time, the brake completely locked up an when it came loose, no pressure in it. Second time, same, but no lock-up. Third time, same. Happened after nothing vigorous.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And what are they doing/have they done to 'fix' it?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    And what are they doing/have they done to 'fix' it?

Well, like I said, I'm not very techy. But they bled it through, took it apart, cleaned it and put it back together. Probably more, but to be honest I don't know. If I knew more about it I would probably get stuck in myself but I just can't afford the time to start doing this stuff myself. The guys at this shop came recommended to me by more than one MTBer that know their stuff. They were very up front about what they did, and very reasonable, and I definitely don't feel like I've been shafted.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    How old is it? It may be still under warranty but it sounds like they aren't being bled properly. There could be air bubbles trapped in the calliper.
  • john2002
    john2002 Posts: 158
    shimano deore is always suggested as best value for money..
    Deore M596 £36 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/gr/e ... -prod67246
    Deore M615 £43 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... prod108802

I recently changed my front brake to deore m596, (from M445 i think it was) its a good brake. they say they was pre bleed but mine was a bit spongy so i bleed them again.. also the leavers are different (its not a problem but some people might not like to have them different)

I think the M615 is the newer version of the 596, Not sure what the differance is in them.
    GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc 2011, Fixie, frankenbike
  • How old is it? It may be still under warranty but it sounds like they aren't being bled properly. There could be air bubbles trapped in the calliper.

I think the bike is now out of warranty, had it over a year now. If they weren't bled properly, I'd have noticed straight away though. (wouldn't I?) The brake worked fine for a couple of weeks after last service and then just went. I could feel it happen as I applied the brake.
  • john2002 wrote:
    shimano deore is always suggested as best value for money..
    Deore M596 £36 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/gr/e ... -prod67246
    Deore M615 £43 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... prod108802

I recently changed my front brake to deore m596, (from M445 i think it was) its a good brake. they say they was pre bleed but mine was a bit spongy so i bleed them again.. also the leavers are different (its not a problem but some people might not like to have them different)

I think the M615 is the newer version of the 596, Not sure what the differance is in them.

Thanks John, I'll take a look at those.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Unless it is leaking it shouldn't need constant fiddling....

Issue could e bleeding or the reach adjust, or even centring of the caliper.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.