V-brake compatibility with drop bar extension levers

coinneach
coinneach Posts: 79
edited October 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I have drop handlebars with brake levers on the hoods + extensions on the flats (modern ones, not the old hospital ones)
My canti brakes are finished and they have never been that good.
I've put on calipers, but the hole in the fork isn't wide enough for proper insertion
I'm thinking of putting a v brake- any problems/compatability issues?

thanks in advance
"It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters in the end."

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Vs need more cable pull so will not work unless your brake levers are Canti-V switchable.

Mini Vs should work.

is this on a CX?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s101p2386

I ran these after I got sick of canti's on my CX - a vast improvement.

I was running Tiagra shifters and found I had to set the blocks fairly close to the rim (I had to slacken the cable to drop the wheel when I running tyres over 32mm width), but they were a significant upgrade, offering a lot more braking power and plenty of modulation. A full length v-brake will just open up a whole world of hassle.

Another benefit was the elimination of the brake judder that plagues CX bikes.
    Further, I found the secondary levers unnecessary as I could get sufficient breaking power when riding on the hoods.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.