MTB clothing brands - research

LegendLust
LegendLust Posts: 1,022
edited October 2013 in MTB general
I'm in the process of an interesting project at work involving the Mountain bike sector, and as I'm a roadie I need some help from the mountain bike fraternity!

It's about MTB clothing brands. Could any of you let me know which brands specific to the mountain bike sector occupy the following areas:

1. Mid range/mid price

2. High end/premium

3. Niche brands

4. Low cost/value brands

Thanks for any input you can give me

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    4. Aldi/Lidl rule

Other than that, I buy what i find at the right price when I find it, anything spent on the clothing isn't being spend on the bike!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    1 no idea
    2 no idea
    3 is there any?
    4 no idea.

otherwise if it fits and can be used at other times then fine.

body armour excepted.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    3 would be Rapha surely, reasonable quality but not worth the eye watering prices......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    The Rookie wrote:
    3 would be Rapha surely, reasonable quality but not worth the eye watering prices......
    do they make anything directed at the MTBer? did not think so? ok may be an odd top could be worn but. NAH.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • smegg40
    smegg40 Posts: 75
    edited October 2013
    1.If it's in the bargain bin of the LBS
    2.As above
    3.As above
    4.Aldi/Lidl/Decathlon

Unless it's going to give me amazing value for money i am not going to pay a third mortgage for items that in six months are going to be replaced by something "better" !,and i am not a tight a**e just rather spend my pounds on other items.
  • nicklouse
    should add that shoes do get money spent on them as they make a difference and are a contact point.
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    lol, looking at the above we are not quite as fussy as our road riding brothers.....

for me its, price / function over fashion, brands don't really come in to it, in my experience the clothes you wear get ruined in no time by repeated exposure to mud, brambles etc so whats the point on paying big bucks.

I only spend good money on gloves, shoes and helmets and most of them would be bought in a CRC / LBS sale.....
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    I tend to buy what looks resonable quality but not too expensive. It's only just going to get muddy, snagged on tree branches and brambles etc. so no point getting anything too expensive
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Troy Lee for high quality/price
    Whatever is reduced on CRC for everything else.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    OK thanks for the input so far. I suppose what I'm getting at, is what's considered 'cheap' and 'expensive' when it come to MTB specific clothing?

For instance, does Fox clothing fit between cheap and expensive? Are there MTB clothing companies that only make downhill specific items?
  • nicklouse
    LegendLust wrote:
    OK thanks for the input so far. I suppose what I'm getting at, is what's considered 'cheap' and 'expensive' when it come to MTB specific clothing?

For instance, does Fox clothing fit between cheap and expensive? Are there MTB clothing companies that only make downhill specific items?
    again you can not be so general.#

Down hill stuff is quite specific and not used by all MTBers.
    padded shorts will be used by most either as is or under some baggies but many will not as they dont site down.

then think Branded Ts with elbow pads and jeans gloves and a Helmet for the kids playing on the side of a hill.

roadie stuff is easy one "type" will do for all.

all wear lycra. shorts or bibs. all wear well wicking tops. then there might be a few winter bits. leggings arm warmers and the odd water proof.

but for MTB everything and nothing.

but then there are the XC racers. they are really roadies.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    nicklouse wrote:
    but then there are the XC racers. they are really roadies.
    You are a cruel man, but fair.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Troy Lee, One Industries and Fly Racing are downhill specific.
    Downhill kit is generally closer to mx kit than cycling kit.
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    You could put Howies in there somewhere, kinda niche I guess. I like their stuff but some of it is quite dear, I wouldn't really wear it for riding though.
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • wrenny
    wrenny Posts: 5
    As well as mtb i also go hillwalking and i have a lot of decent,and expensive, kit by Montane, Rab etc.
    Much of it is ideal for biking (and sold in bike shops) but apart from cheap stuff like baselayers i dont use it on the mtb.
    Apart from risk of damage, fabrics like Event and Goretex need a lot of care to stay waterproof so getting them covered in crap every few days isn`t a great idea.
    Plenty of cheap stuff in Sports Direct and TK Maxx to use on the bike...
  • 1. Mid range/mid price – Altura, Endura

2. High end/premium, Rapha, Gore

3. Niche brands, - Assos, Castelli

4. Low cost/value brands, Aldi, Kona
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    1. Mid range/mid price - Altura/ Endura

2. High end/premium - Mavic, Gore, Endura MTR/Equipe ranges

3. Niche brands - Same as the roadies, Rapha, Assos, Castelli (no equivalent MTB brand really...maybe Howies?)

4. Low cost/value brands - Aldi, DHB
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    What's the difference between high end and niche? I'd categorise Assos and Rapha in the same category, I'd say high end, rather than niche.

MTB specific brands - Fox, Troy Lee, Royal. There aren't many, I can't think of any 'XC specific' brands - it's just the same as road kit!
  • The Rookie
    Many XC racers seem to wear Rapha, but then yes some COULD be classed as closet Roadies.

I have a great lightweight Howies waterproof, £200 worth reduced to £35 at TK Max, I carry it on my commute, no good off road as one bramble and it would be shredded!
  • nicklouse
    The Rookie wrote:
    Many XC racers seem to wear Rapha, but then yes some COULD be classed as closet Roadies.
    but as far as cyxling clothing goes they are Roadies. what is the difference? a peak and some SPDs.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I know very few XC riders who wear Rapha. Assos is far more prolific as top end kit, but yes, the point still stands - there's nothing MTB specific about the kit.