Bike for my wife

richbayliss
richbayliss Posts: 10
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi.

I have just bought a new MTB after a few years of discussion with my wife - something we planned to buy a few years ago before we had kids and then life got in the way, as it usually does :roll:

Now that I have a bike I want to get her one, but in doing research for buying mine I have become aware of the many BSO that exist and I want to avoid that where possible. However her needs are much less than my own, so I am hoping to pickup something for £300 or less.

She is ~5'10" and doesn't plan to go "off-roading", with the roughest stuff being the occasional flurry onto grass to dodge puddles on a towpath... so nothing serious is needed :D

I am thinking of a more traditional frame style, comfy saddle, 7 speed or less (maybe a 3 speed hub) but of good quality. I am hoping it should last her a good few years.

Does anybody have any recommendations? Second hand is also on the cards.

Comments

• I would definitely have a look on eBay for something second hand. From your description it sounds like this could be just the ticket...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pashley-Princ ... 417815b2b9
    :twisted:
  • Kowalski wrote:
    I would definitely have a look on eBay for something second hand. From your description it sounds like this could be just the ticket...

See, I have never heard of Pashley so I wouldn't have thought to even look at them. I think the frame style is definately what I/she is looking for though. Raleigh do a similar frame style in the Pioneer, what are peoples thoughts on those?
  • If it were my money I'd definitely go for the Pashley. Although you haven't heard of them they have been "hand building British bicycles since 1926" (as it says on their website) and build really nice, quality bikes whereas I'm not sure Raleigh have done anything note worthy since the Burner...
    :twisted:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited October 2013
    oxoman wrote:
    Looks like Pashley is one of many through Halfrauds as well, and not cheap new either.
    Pashley and Halfords - no

EDIT were sold by but no connection like carrera
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Rookie wrote:
    oxoman wrote:
    Looks like Pashley is one of many through Halfrauds as well, and not cheap new either.
    Pashley and Halfords - no.
    Pashley and Halfords, yes.
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_231005

Pendleton and Halfords - nasty but ka ching
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65534#tab2
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Whilst attractive, the Pashley is likely to weigh as much as a small planet so you may do better with a visit to Decathlon if you want to keep your wife interested in cycling.
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I would say a fairly large planet. Fine for a flat 5 minute ride to the shops, rubbish for anything else.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I would show your wife a few types of bikes to see what she likes the look of and then based on that test ride a few. Sometimes the best bike is not the one you first think of. At 5ft10 there will be a lot of second hand bikes to choose from as well.

My wife rides on and off-road and has a women's XC mountain bike. She chose it based on looks and how it felt when she gave it a test ride. Due to it being reduced a lot in the current sales and being of good spec we bought it.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Pashleys are massively heavy poorly specced and to be avoided. I'd look at the sports hybrids at decathlon.
  • verloren
    verloren Posts: 337
    I got my daughter a Pendleton Dalby recently, and it seems a pretty good bit of kit to me. Comfortable, speedy enough, decent gearing, pretty (esp. the mudguards), and cheap enough. Don't trust the service at Halfords, but I can look after the bike myself.

'09 Enigma Eclipse with SRAM.
    '10 Tifosi CK7 Audax Classic with assorted bits for the wet weather
    '08 Boardman Hybrid Comp for the very wet weather.
  • I have looked at the Decathlon bikes and I have never heard of B'TWIN - which puts me off a little.

I guess since second hand is an option, and given the frame style - does anyone have any recommendations for a lightweight hybrid/touring frame? I am happy to put the bike together if new (so Halfrauds is fine) and I know roughly what components will benefit/hinder. I guess the frame is the key part I am missing knowledge of.
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    The B'TWIN Rockriders are some of the most highly recommended bikes on this forum. They tend to be excellent value for money and, along with Halfords, an excellent first port of call for the budget buyer.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Kowalski wrote:
    I would definitely have a look on eBay for something second hand. From your description it sounds like this could be just the ticket...

Ah, finally I find who stopped me registering the forum name I wanted by already having it (and has the same avatar I've used on another forum), lol.
  • Thanks for the advice guys. I have looked at the Rockrider range and they do look like decent bikes.

Found this on the interwebs recently, just wondered what people thought. I like the simplicity of the thing.

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=52488&categoryID=429
  • verloren
    What is it you think is simple? It's a triple, which is pretty fiddly.

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Pics of your wife please then I can decide which bike I'd be willing to give for her :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Looking at it, it has:
    • V-Brakes, which are simple to maintain
    • Solid forks, so nothing to maintain (apart from cleaning them)

I don't understand what you mean by a "triple"? Are you referring to the crank gears?
  • arran77 wrote:
    Pics of your wife please then I can decide which bike I'd be willing to give for her :wink:

A bike wouldn't fix the pain I would receive for posting pics of her on the web :lol:
  • verloren
    Yes - they're generally trickier than double or single chainrings to keep trimmed, though if your wife is anything like mine she'll never shift from the middle ring so that won't matter much!