New Rear Mech

slowbike
slowbike Posts: 8,498
edited October 2013 in Workshop
I need to replace my wifes rear mech after it fell apart on Sunday - she finished her ride (Cycletta) on my bike - loosing just 10 minutes between stopping and me arriving at her location and I scooted hers back to the carpark.

She's currently got 8 speed Sora with triple on the front .. so in the first instance I need a mech that will work with that.
Having succumbed to the Merlin offer the other day I'll soon be swapping out my 105 (10spd double) with Ultegras and intend to replace my wifes Sora with the 105 STIs so whatever mech I get I'll want to work with the new 105 10speed gear.

To replace the current mech I think it needs a medium cage as the triple is 30/40/52 (or at least 30/39/50) - ie beyond the 16T chainring capacity of a short mech. So options I can see are Tiagra or 105 - tempted to just go 105 as it'll then match the STIs once I change over.

Questions are:
Any reason why a 10 speed 105 medium cage won't work with current Sora 8 speed triple setup?
Any reason why a 10 speed 105 medium cage (rather than short) won't work with a 34/50 28-12 10speed cassette once I change over?

TIA

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Your first problem, irrespective of which rear mech you need, is that your 105 L/H shifter is a double and will not work fully with your wife's triple crankset. You may be able to fiddle about so that it will work reasonably OK between 2 of the front chainrings eg middle and large. However I'm not sure if her indoors will be happy with that.

You have a couple of options:-
    1. Persuade her to move to a compact chainset and buy a Sora or Tiagra 50/34 that will work with your 105 STI

2. Try to source a triple L/H shifter that will work with her current set up.

If you opt for plan 1 you will be OK with a standard (medium cage) rear mech. Plan 2 will probably require sourcing a long cage mech to cope with the extra tall gearing of the triple.
  • slowbike
    Sorry - didn't muddy the water with the crank as I already have a spare double crank so will swap over when I replace the STIs .. it's purely the rear mech compatibility that I need to check. Ta
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I'm running a short cage 105 r/mech on 34/50 and 11-28 atm, following a swap over from 11-25 for a hilly sportive. Working fine. As best as I can tell, there is only a difference with the inner cage between this and a Tiagra r/mech, should you wish to save a few quid.
  • slowbike
    tiagra was only £3 cheaper - so went for the 105 (wife prefers the available colour scheme!)..

next major purchase will be new bar tape x 2, new 10 speed chain & cassette ... then I can start the swapover process ...