Spin Doctor help!

oddnumber
oddnumber Posts: 42
edited October 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all, I have a question regarding axles etc that I'm hoping you guys could help with. Bear in mind I'm new to MTBs, having come from motorbikes, so apologies if these questions are somewhat dumb ...

I have a Haro Thread that I bought incorrectly fitted with 24" wheels. So, I bought a pair of 26" wheels to replace them with - Halo SAS with spin doctor hubs. However, the fittings seem entirely different - my existing ones have hex heads front and back, whereas my new rear has a 10mm axle and front has a space for what looks like a 20mm axle.

Can they be made to fit easily? I've included pics to make more sense!

Existing front and rear ...

photo1_zps6f9ca006.jpg

photo2_zps1dc0e02f.jpg

New front and rear ...

photo4_zps71a4b03a.jpg

photo3_zps27703a95.jpg

I'm guessing all I need for the rear is two 10mm axle nuts? The front is a different matter though. The forks are Marzochi Bombers DJ3 with what looks like 9mm QR fittings. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    for the front you need the original reducer for the hub. Contact billys.co.uk

huha-sd-ft-qraxle.jpg

rear yep just a pair of nuts

huha-sd-m10axlekit.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • That's awesome, thanks Nick :D

Do you know offhand if the front reducer has threads either end for the existing hex head bolts to thread into?
  • nicklouse
    no it is a Qr hub fitting but will work fine with your fork.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Thanks Nick - would that necessitate a QR skewer? Is there any way to keep the hex head fitting I have currently?

Sorry - told you I was a novice :)
  • nicklouse
    yes it would.

sure getb these which fit the Qr kit as above.

huha-sd-38studs.jpg

Qr kit 15 quid and stub axles 10 quid.
  • Apologies again - the stub axle kit would mean I could retain the existing hex heads? How do the stub axles fit into the QR kit if they're threaded?

I really appreciate your help on this, it's a lot more complex than I thought!!!
  • nicklouse
    look at athe pictures.

there screw into the alloy axel where the Qr ones screw in.

all fittings are provided.

it is only complex as the seller did not provide either all the parts or had a poor description or you just bought the wrong wheel set up.
  • Thanks Nick. In all honesty I think it was my error - I've learned quite a lot from your replies this morning though :lol:

I appreciate your help.
  • Just a quick thanks Nick - spoke to Billys, ordered the parts you suggested and they fit perfectly.

Thanks for your help matey :)