Fork leg issue

mxh
mxh Posts: 51
edited October 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I noticed recently that one of the fork seals on my 2011 Boxxer R2C2 forks was leaking. I've taken the fork leg out with a view to replacing the seal, but have noticed that there's some wear on the fork leg. I've attached a photo - the wear can be seen as the dark line on the right side of the leg - it's not a shadow, it's wear (the bigger dark area nearer the bottom is just a reflection - ignore this).

However, the strange thing is that the worn area is slightly raised - it's only slight, but I've had a few people take a look and everyone agrees that it's raised. The forks have only been used for about 8 downhill days from new (to give you an idea of usage), and over this time the coating has worn off of the raised section to produce the darker area that can be seen.

Is this a common or known issue? Can't find any reference to anything similar searching the web. Is it worth doing anything to the leg to try and improve matters, or (as it's the spring side) should I just let it leak and top the oil up every few rides as it's only a 5 minute job?

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Are they not still under warranty, if they'rew as new as you say? I wouldn't mess with them - just take them back to the shop to get them replaced.
  • mxh
    mxh Posts: 51
    The forks were new, as in unused. I bought the bike secondhand about a year ago - it hadn't been used at all by the first owner - it just sat in his lounge for 18 months. So being second owner, and the fact that they are over 2 years old means that warranty probably isn't an option.