105 double left shifter problems

webberhyde
webberhyde Posts: 39
edited October 2013 in Workshop
So i fell for the bargain Merlin had on the other weekend on 105 shifters. also stuck a 105 rear mech, ultegra 10spd cassette and chain in the shopping basket too. All to go on my Croix de Fer.

I'd say I'm reasonably competent with my maintenance skills, although not that experienced. This was the first time ive tried installing new shifters.

Managed to get the old shifters off after a while and got the new shifters on without too much trouble. Threaded the cables no problem. Before putting the new chain on i'd thought id see how the front mech worked with the left shifter. Unfortunately it doesn't. the mech doesnt want to be pulled up to the big ring by the lever. The cables seem to glide fine, but it just goes exceptionally tight when trying to move up. So tight and stiff it feels like the shifter will break before the derailleur moves. I should point out that the chainset it a 105 compact and tiagra derailleur.

The deraileur worked faultlessly with the stock tiagra shifters, so there shouldnt be a problem there. I've read one or two people encountering this problem, but couldn't find any concrete solutions.

Has anyone encountered this and know what could be causing it? The front mech does seem to be quite stiff to move by hand, but as i said, it was working fine just the other day.

Any help gratefully received. Cheers.

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Remove the cable from the mech - can you move the mech the full distance by hand?
    Check the cable runs freely through the outer too.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Is the end of the cable correctly seated in the shifter?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    5700 shifter and a 5600 mech i take it? This is quite a well known incompatability issue due to pull ratio differences. A 5700 front mech is about £20 or so.

You may also want to look at 5700 brake calipers at some stage too

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/tech_support/tech_tips.download.-Par50lparsys-0025-downloadFile.html/01%29%20Drivetrain%20Compatability%20Chart.pdf
  • Mech moves across fully by hand, no problem.

Cables seem to run fine. detaching the cable and holding it in my hand whilst shifting, it pulls and slackens fine. Seems to be seated ok too.

The front mech is a tiagra (4500 possibly). Reading about the general consensus seems that you can use 5700 shifters with tiagra. I do plan to get a 5700 front mech in the near future though, as you point out, they arent expensive.

One thing that does stick out to me is that the cable appears to be pulling in the wrong direction. As far as i can remember the cable before was coming from below the BB and straight up, thus pulling the cable clamp down, where as it looks as though it would be best pulling across to the left. But there is no other way of routing the cable so that it does that...it can only come from beneath it.
  • Forgot to say i shant be needing 5700 brakes. Mechanical discs on a Croix de Fer.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    5700 shifter and a 5600 mech i take it? This is quite a well known incompatability issue due to pull ratio differences. A 5700 front mech is about £20 or so.

You may also want to look at 5700 brake calipers at some stage too

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/tech_support/tech_tips.download.-Par50lparsys-0025-downloadFile.html/01%29%20Drivetrain%20Compatability%20Chart.pdf

Just to say, I'm currently using 5700 shifters with a 90s era Campag Veloce front mech - and it works fine. Shimano's own compatibility chart is probably not the best guide...
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    Assuming that you havent altered the setting of the High limit stop, you might check that the cable is routed into the F/D correctly. The cable needs to come up into the clamping bolt on the side nearest the frame (ie routed clockwise when viewed from behind. This gives a little more leverage than routing it anti-clockwise.