Taking a Bantu to Bike park in Dorset?

shaunnevard
shaunnevard Posts: 6
edited October 2013 in MTB general
Hi all. I'm new to mtb, I bought a Bantu about 3 months ago as I wanted the cheapest capable bike I could buy as I wasn't sure if I would get into mtb or not.
We'll I am loving it. I have only been riding at Thetford forest on the red routes, as it's the only half decent trails near where I live. But I ride now whenever I can.

In a months time we are visiting some friends in Dorset and I was looking at places to ride and I liked the look of the Bikepark as it has downhill trails, which we lack in Norfolk :(
But my question is would my Voodoo Bantu be up this to it or not?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Yeah, there are a couple tracks you would be fine on.
    The park is sh1t though. Badly built trails, miserable uplift drivers and the owner has a bad habit of turning up an hour late to open the park meaning you loose an hour and a half riding.
    The trails are chalk and flint which can cut tyres and has zero grip in the wet.
    Even locals never ride there. For me it's less than half an hour drive but I would rather drive over an hour to ride at Triscombe.
  • You have put me off the Bikepark now.
    I have just googled Triscombe and it does look really good. Might have to give a try.
    Thanks Rockmonkey
  • rockmonkeysc
    To be honest, if you go there its probably best to head out on the Quantocks for a xc ride. There is some amazing riding. Look up Smiths Coombe, Weacoombe, Frog Coombe, Somerton Coombe and Dead Womans Ditch. If you join them up you get a good 15 mile loop with some of the best trails I have ever ridden.
    The DH trails at Triscombe, where the uplift runs might be a bit much on a xc hardtail. It's all very rocky, steep and gnarly and most of the jumps are big gaps (20 - 50 foot).
  • Thanks for the advice Rockmonkey. Are the trails marked or do I need a map?
    Is there any other trails in Dorset or Hampshire you can recommend?
  • Where abouts are you?
  • We will be visiting friends who live near Christchurch, so we will probably get a travel lodge or similar near by.
  • rockmonkeysc
    There's plenty of good riding on the Purbeck hills but it's mostly old style xc, not technical.
    I hear there's good stuff in Wareham forest.
    Puddletown is also good from what I have heard but not been there myself.
    Quantocks are a bit more of a drive but amazing riding and all the trails I mentioned previously are marked on OS maps.
    Not much else around Dorset really though it may be worth getting an OS map and looking for a route taking in lots of wooded hills. Im sure there's good riding to be had.
  • it may be worth getting an OS map and looking for a route taking in lots of wooded hills. Im sure there's good riding to be had.

This ^^^^^. The best riding is had when exploring! Plot out a route in the pub one night then try it out the next day. You don't always get amazing gnarly singletrack, but you do get to see somewhere new and go on a mini adventure too! :mrgreen:
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • Thanks all for your recommendations. You have given me lots of options to look into riding