Autumn/Winter/Spring Jersey Jacket do it all...Gabba?

chrispee44
chrispee44 Posts: 28
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
So now the weathers drawing in I find myself not having much suitable clothing, I have a thin Shortsleeve jersey and a baggy planet x longsleeve job thats isnt great, i can top this off with a packable montane shell. I have a craft zero baselayer on order so am looking for the best combination to top this. I was thinking a short sleeve Castelli Gabba with nanoflex armwarmers should cover me for most of the conditions i will face, maybe adding a merino base layer too, if its ridiculously cold i will just use the trainer instead, has anyone got a similiar combination or any good alternatives, ideally a softshell that is useable in the most conditions. Sorry if its been done to death but theres a lot of info out there.

Also looking for a good reasonably priced set of windproof gloves.

Thanks

Comments

• Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    I have the Gabba S/S and Sportful no rain arm warmers. I think its a superb combo. Fit is ace and it really keeps the wind out. Its not cheap but I think it will be very versatile in all but sub zero (in which case i wont ride) or torrential rain. For gloves I just got a pair of the P/X windproof ones for a tenner. They seem really good.
  • Wore my Gabba/Nanoflex combo for the first time yesterday. Initially with a gilet, but got hot pretty quickly. Once that was off, I was perfect.

I'll be interested to see how low the temp can get before it's not enough.

I want to get the Nanoflex 3/4 now. Anybody got them?
  • Assos airJack 851 Cycling Jacket
    People say these things are expensive but I'm still wearing the same one after 5 years of constant washing & I wouldn't be surprised if I got another 5 years out of it.
  • Have you actually tried the Gabba, or the Rapha Pro Team Jacket?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Anyone looking at a Gabba but keen to save a few quid should look at the Craft Weather Jersey, which is very similar in construction.
    It's not quite as stretchy, but is functionally excellent and could be picked up for around 60 quid, which is around half price, from Wiggle, Always Riding and PBK.
  • Went out in my Gabba SS jersey yesterday morning with Rapha armwarmers and full winter tights.

It was unusually cold, 3'C, a massive drop from the 13'C last week.

Group ride, so low effort at first, and I was pretty damn cold. Although the Gabba cut the wind well, it doesn't have any insulation properties so there's nothing to keep the heat in. In restropect, I should have worn a thin merino base layer or similar.

I do have very low body fat (skinny runt) so I feel the cold pretty quickly.

By the end of the ride (11'C) I was too hot, and took the armwarmers off.
  • Loads of choices on the market for these jerseys now.

Castelli Gabba and Sportful Fiandra No Rain – same thing
    Santini Aquazero (who used the ‘wonder fabric’ before Castelli fact fans)
    Giordana G-Shield (my choice) and Vermarc Aquazero –same thing:
    http://www.shopvermarcusa.com/Vermarc-S ... -p759.html
    http://www.pelotonmagazine.com/Goods/co ... -SS-Jersey

The Rapha Pro Team Jacket is none of the above but does a grand job of shedding showers and keeping you warm when it’s Baltic.
  • designman
    designman Posts: 405
    Seriously thinking about getting myself a Gabba SS jersey, only problem is, How do you guys wash them?
    Do you wash them after every ride?
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    designman wrote:
    Seriously thinking about getting myself a Gabba SS jersey, only problem is, How do you guys wash them?
    Do you wash them after every ride?
    I washed mine for the first time on Sunday. Had worn it for quite a few rides prior to that. It breathes so it hasn't got too stinky. 30 degree Sportwear setting on the machine. Thats what I do all my cycling clobber at. Unless its covered in dirty roadspray it wont need washed after every ride.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Half way through my ride yesterday I was thinking I should have worn my Gabba rather than the thinner jersey I had on...

Its not a full winter item though - you'd want a windproof top with a bit of insulation for that- but it is nice kit for autumn and spring.
  • cougie
    Wore mine at the weekend. It was about 8 degrees - I only had a base layer underneath it and bibs - that gives a fair bit of protection. It was Ok on the way out riding pretty steadily. After the cafe stop its a descent for a bit so I put a windproof gilet over the top and wore that all the way home. So I reckon its just starting to get a bit cool for the gabba alone.
  • Chadders81 wrote:
    Wore my Gabba/Nanoflex combo for the first time yesterday. Initially with a gilet, but got hot pretty quickly. Once that was off, I was perfect.

I'll be interested to see how low the temp can get before it's not enough.

I want to get the Nanoflex 3/4 now. Anybody got them?

Yep, I wear gabba with nanoflex 3/4..... Rode all through last winter with the gabba + thermal + nanoflex 3/4 + ski socks + overshoes..... Bit chilly on the coldest days but overall was fine.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    cougie wrote:
    Half way through my ride yesterday I was thinking I should have worn my Gabba rather than the thinner jersey I had on...

Its not a full winter item though - you'd want a windproof top with a bit of insulation for that- but it is nice kit for autumn and spring.
    I wear my L/S version with just a L/S merino base layer at sub zero.
    We are all different.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • cougie
    Indeed. I've seen people out in longs, gloves and winter jackets when I've still been in shorts. You have to find out what works for you.