Tyres for Lakes in winter

passout
passout Posts: 4,425
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm after the best tyre(s) for riding around the Lakes on in winter on a hardtail - some challenging terrain ridden clumsily rather than fast.

Not tubeless.

I ike High Rollers (single ply) but is there anything else?

Want something with a decent volume 2.3/2.4, decent protections and not 'too' slow - not racing though.

Any ideas? Thanks.
'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Schwalbe Hans Dampfs. Trailstar compound on the front, pacestar on the rear. Plenty of volume, fast rolling, grippy and predictable. About £30 each from bike-discount.de and worth every penny.
  • passout
    lawman wrote:
    Schwalbe Hans Dampfs. Trailstar compound on the front, pacestar on the rear. Plenty of volume, fast rolling, grippy and predictable. About £30 each from bike-discount.de and worth every penny.

Do you mean this: http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k295/a ... dable.html ?
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • passout
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    passout wrote:
    lawman wrote:

Do you mean this: http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k295/a ... dable.html ?

Yep that's the one for the rear, you want the softer trail star on the front for a bit more grip - http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k371/a ... ml?mfid=78

Most of the german sites have them at decent prices so it's worth shopping around :) I really can't fault them, other than the size which can limit what frames/forks can take them, but they are seriously tough, tubeless ready, light for the size, they roll well, the grip is fantastic and they are very predictable.

Mountain Kings are reasonable, although many prefer Rubber Queens.
  • passout
    Thanks for replying - useful.
  • I'm running Specialized Purgatory 2.2 on the front and a Ground Control 2.1 on the rear. Rolls well, grips well uphill and a big improvement on Nobby Nics I had on before.
  • passout
    briefcasew wrote:
    I'm running Specialized Purgatory 2.2 on the front and a Ground Control 2.1 on the rear. Rolls well, grips well uphill and a big improvement on Nobby Nics I had on before.

Thanks but just got an Maxxis advantage in the end - will run a high roller up front. Will consider these others in the future though.