Reporting Dangerous Road Conditions

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited October 2013 in Commuting chat
I know you can report potholes to your local council directly or use the CTC http://www.fillthathole.org.uk/ but who can you report things like excessive mud, fallen branches etc. but the worst of all are heating oil spills.

I accept that living in the countryside we have some shocking roads but generally farmers will clear deep mud & muck however the local heating oil companies have these mini fuel tankers that have a hose fitted off the back, the trouble is as they drive around from house to house and village to village they often leave either a continuous river of oil or regular large spots.

This time of year its usually wet and dark for both of my commutes, as if that's not bad enough I now have to descend in the dark trying to find a clean oil free line.

There's a few different companies around so its difficult to know if it's one or all responsible, who can you report this to?
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I once called the police non emergency number to report a diesel spill, they said if it was serious to dial 999.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    You're meant to report it to the County Council from what I recall.

http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/parkingtran ... ort-Anchor
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Ta i'll give it a try but they are barely B roads and getting anyone to actually care even if it is more than 10 miles of oil marks.

I have reported a major spill on the main A road, right on a dangerous fast bend and sure enough they came out within hours and cleaned up the road, I suspect if a motorist had a serious accident after it had already been reported they'd be hell to pay.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Yes, calling 999 is more for the latter. This was a lot of diesel on a roundabout where the A312 and A316 meet. I was riding a motorbike and luckily noticed the smell of diesel. I took it very slow and made sure I avoided the pretty rainblows in the road.
  • Unless it warrants a call to the police, report it to the county council highways or roads maintenance team. There is usually a "report it" section on most council website front pages to report road hazards.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    goonersi wrote:
    Unless it warrants a call to the police, report it to the county council highways or roads maintenance team. There is usually a "report it" section on most council website front pages to report road hazards.

Taxis mainly. :roll:

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    If it is routine spillage of flammable, and toxic or hazardous liquids then DEFRA and the Environment Agency may be interested in the companies' storage and transport compliance.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.