6701 chain for 6703?

matt21
matt21 Posts: 71
edited October 2013 in Workshop
Hi all

Sorry if this has been done to death - I've read as many for as against, but is it ok to run an Ultegra 6701 chain with a 6703 setup (triple)? Some seem to say only use a 6600 and others that it makes no difference. Thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    It may not be officially approved, but personally I would try it. Unless you cross chain constantly (which supposedly is where issues might lie) I can't imagine it not working. There are some stonking deals on 6700 chains at the moment.
  • matt21
    Thanks for that...kind of what I was thinking. I don't cross chain at all if I can help it (far from perfect!). Some say the 6600 has more flexibility but I don't know if that's a fact or just a marketing ploy?
  • derek48
    derek48 Posts: 67
    I've had three Shimano 'directional' chains fail when used with a triple, two dura ace 7900 and one 6700, even though I NEVER cross chain. They crack across the side plates. Futher investigation with LBS and Madison suggests that only 'non-directional' chains should be used with 6703. In fact Madison will not replace any of these chains under warranty if they have been used with a triple. I've now abandoned Shimano chains and use KMC X10 L or SL and so far these have been good.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Interesting!
  • matt21
    That solves that one then!
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Derek48 wrote:
    I've had three Shimano 'directional' chains fail when used with a triple, two dura ace 7900 and one 6700, even though I NEVER cross chain. They crack across the side plates. Futher investigation with LBS and Madison suggests that only 'non-directional' chains should be used with 6703. In fact Madison will not replace any of these chains under warranty if they have been used with a triple. I've now abandoned Shimano chains and use KMC X10 L or SL and so far these have been good.
    This^^. I first heard about this issue when my neighbor who has a 6700 triple kit was told by his mechanic to use 7800 Dura-Ace chain rather than the 6700 (interesting that he didn't offer a 6600 or 105 chain). Having found that Shimano was recommending not using the 6700 chain and not giving any explanation it does seem that the best conclusion was that the chains with the sideplate cutouts where more likely to crack with the larger angles of the triple chainline. I always use KMC so fitted his triple with a KMC X10.93 chain when the Dura-Ace wore out and it has worked flawlessly at a third of the price and has lasted longer as well. Shimano did revise their chains at some point giving them the 6701, 7901, etc designation due to too many reports of cracking sideplates. Curious that Shimano has abandoned the sideplate cutouts on the 11sp chains.