Project: Disk brake advice

jam5ie76
jam5ie76 Posts: 108
edited October 2013 in Road buying advice
Good Afternoon :)

I'm building up an old cyclocross frame into a single speed commuter as my trip into work has recently shortened and become more urban.

Now I'm used to shopping online for bits for my CAAD but it seems digging about for bits for the front end of my project is a little more complicated.

What I'm after is a reliable and cheap front fork, disk brake, rotor and wheel. Hoping to only spend about £200-300 but not sure how realistic that may be?

Comments

• woolwich
    woolwich Posts: 298
    Cheapest fork that I am aware of is on-ones Pompino disc fork. Perfectly decent budget fork available from Planet-x.
    For more money and much more sturdy try Surlys forks. The long Haultrucker one would work. Or most plush but most expensive look at the Kinesis range. Nice kit.

Most people rate Avids BB7's as the best calipers, although BB5's are perfectly acceptable when set up. Clarkes and TRP make other regarded models.

Don't go too thin with the discs, they warp.

I am sure there are lots of options for cheap wheels. I have made several from basic kit such as Shimano Deore or XT hubs and basically any strong double eyeleted box section rim. Whatevers on offer, Alex and Rigida make cheap but durable or the look at Planet x colearance section.
    Mud to Mudguards. The Art of framebuilding.
    http://locksidebikes.co.uk/
  • jam5ie76
    jam5ie76 Posts: 108
    Thanks very much, i hadnt thought to look to Planet X