repairing seam tape - where can I get it done?

starbuck
starbuck Posts: 256
edited October 2013 in MTB general
I have an endura flyte waterproof jacket. The taped seams are coming off (along the neck and down the side).

I guess the easiest thing is to replace the seams, but can anyone recommend somewhere that does this?

Alternatively, I may consider doing it myself. If I do it myself, what should I look for in new tape (a quick look gave me the impression there are different types).

Is it easy to do yourself (and how difficult is it to get a really good result)?

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I tried it myself with some iron on tape I got off ebay and it didnt go well I managed to make it waterproof but got some of the seams scrunched up. Maybe someone who is used to ironing and clothesmaking could have done a better job.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • nasha48
    nasha48 Posts: 231
    I bought somne of that clear 'tear repar' stuff a while ago on my Montane waterproof jacket - worked great. Though it's not necessarily specifically for seam taping, I can't see a good reason why it wouldn't work. It's certainly strong, it comes on a longish roll and you can cut it to size. Can't remember what its called though!
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    My flyte is suffering from the same issue, let me know what works best. :)
  • You could try some ptfe thread sealing tape, you might be able to semi melt it over the seam with a hot iron and a cloth.
    However, if the jacket still has good water repellence, the water should bead and fall off.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Use Mcnett seam grip, just brush it on to the seam and let it dry. It can also repair cuts and rips as well.

http://www.mcnett.com/gearaid/seam-grip#10510
  • starbuck
    starbuck Posts: 256
    Use Mcnett seam grip, just brush it on to the seam and let it dry. It can also repair cuts and rips as well.

http://www.mcnett.com/gearaid/seam-grip#10510

Sounds worth a try, as looking at various places on the net if I send it away to be re-taped it will cost me about £40 odd quid. With a tube of the seam grip less than a tenner, it's worth a shot. I'll report back on how it goes.