Can anyone recommend a good rucksack?

gabriel959
gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
edited October 2013 in Commuting chat
Our multipurpose day to day rucksack has finally given up the ghost. It was an old Karrimor Sector 20L (made when they were decent) which has lasted us nearly 10 years. It has been used as a traveling rucksack, maternity rucksack, you name it, it has probably done it :lol:

We need something similar, 2 main pockets, plus a key and little things pocket. Side compartments would be nice. I started looking but I couldn't really tell, too much choice! :D I have a cycling Deuter rucksack which I love so I was wondering if there was something with similar levels of quality. Budget up to £50 but less is better of course.
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra

Comments

• got the exp air a couple months ago from halfords for £50 with a discount code
    best cycling bag i've ever used

Deuter-Race-EXP-Air-Black-White-2013.jpg
  • gabriel959
    got the exp air a couple months ago from halfords for £50 with a discount code
    best cycling bag i've ever used

Deuter-Race-EXP-Air-Black-White-2013.jpg

Very useful, not. :|

I don't need a cycling rucksack. I need a day to day family rucksack. I already have a Deuter race for my commutes.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • how about the lidl 3m special for £15 then lol
    not exactly quality but its cheap and practical

rocktrail-trekking-rucksack--1.jpg
  • benp1
    benp1 Posts: 7
    Check out the Osprey Quasar, good for day trips and as a kids/nappy bag (ipad in the laptop pouch)

It's 30 litres, smaller options available as well. Bang on your budget
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I think the only good rucksack is one someone else is carrying for you. Seriously I went from a rucksack when i mashed my right shoulder in a drinking/cycling related incident to a messenger bag, which is not comfortable at all especially climbing long hills and i think might be partly to blame for my other shoulder now being foo-bar'd
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    [/quote]Very useful, not. :|
    I don't need a cycling rucksack. I need a day to day family rucksack. I already have a Deuter race for my commutes.[/quote]

So why are you asking the question in a cycling forum?
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    [/quote]Very useful, not. :|
    I don't need a cycling rucksack. I need a day to day family rucksack. I already have a Deuter race for my commutes.[/quote]

So why are you asking the question in a cycling forum?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    Because it's in a chat sub forum full of threads about coffee, asda fancy dress and christmas drinks maybe? And he said what kind of rucksack he wanted in the OP...

I just bought one of these which is 20l, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Berghaus-Freeflow-20-Mens-Backpack/dp/B004MMG2D6, blue one is under budget if you don't mind colour.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Very useful, not.

I don't need a cycling rucksack. I need a day to day family rucksack. I already have a Deuter race for my commutes.

A bit rude, that comment. The suggested item matched your description in the OP. If your looking for people to offer advice I recommend being a bit more polite in your responses.
  • Osprey talon, comes in multiple sizes, hydration compatible and has won numerous awards.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    mrfpb wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Very useful, not.

A bit rude, that comment. The suggested item matched your description in the OP. If your looking for people to offer advice I recommend being a bit more polite in your responses.
    Whilst a slightly blunt comment a Deuter Race in no way matches the request in the OP. It's just over half the capacity requested and isn't really a multipurpose day to day rucksack, let alone being used as a maternity bag.
  • its ok i dont offend easily :lol:
    just want to point out that in the OP it doesnt state "has to be at least 20L"
    plus the race exp air meets the requirements of "key and little things pocket, side compartments and quality"

i posted it because "gabriel959" didnt state which deuter cycling bag he had, thought he may want to upgrade and kill two birds with one stone?

oh and Veronese68 the OP also didnt state the rucksack would be used for "maternity" reasons again, only that it had been in the past 10years

but hey lets all play nice
    I appologies to gabriel959 if my suggestion wasnt what you were after
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    The best rucksack is one that fits you properly. Every one has different back lengths. Each manufacturer has a slightly different fit. Try a few on and see which is the most comfortable. There are loads of bags with specs to meet your requirements. What's comfortable for me might be torture for you. Rucksacks are just like footwear the shoe or boot has to fit properly.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    We have 2 OMM Marathon Classics in the house and they get used pretty much every day for...pretty much everything. Very light, well made, flexible (lots of space in mesh, hip pockets, top compartment, etc.), rolls down to almost nothing when you want to pack it into a bigger bag for holidays. Can't recommend highly enough.
  • gabriel959
    Thanks for all the useful recommendations. The Osprey rucksacks look great and so does the OMM and Berghaus, it has definitely added lots of additional information which I need to process quick as we are going on hols soon and need one soon.

I do also hear the thing about size as this is a rucksack both my wife and I (mainly) will have to use to it has to fit us both.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • gabriel959
    its ok i dont offend easily :lol:
    just want to point out that in the OP it doesnt state "has to be at least 20L"
    plus the race exp air meets the requirements of "key and little things pocket, side compartments and quality"

i posted it because "gabriel959" didnt state which deuter cycling bag he had, thought he may want to upgrade and kill two birds with one stone?

oh and Veronese68 the OP also didnt state the rucksack would be used for "maternity" reasons again, only that it had been in the past 10years

but hey lets all play nice
    I appologies to gabriel959 if my suggestion wasnt what you were after

I didn't mean to be rude, although I do appreciate it might have appeared that way. But in no way a Deuter Race Air was matching my requirements. I said I needed something similar to what I had before.

I do appreciate you were trying to be useful, I was having a pretty rotten night as everyone minus me has had a really bad stomach bug so apologies again.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • gabriel959
    mrfpb wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Very useful, not.

No, it didn't match my description, read again. But yes, I am sorry about the comment.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    If you are being pedantic, Wastegate didn't actually recommend the Deuter to the OP, just shared within the world that he'd bought one and liked it.
    :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • gabriel959
    t4tomo wrote:
    If you are being pedantic, Wastegate didn't actually recommend the Deuter to the OP, just shared within the world that he'd bought one and liked it.
    #

:lol: true
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Everyone gets a bad day. I'm glad you've found what you want. Hope all the grottiness passes soon!
  • Let me hijack this thread:
    Can anybody recommend a large rucksack of about 40-60l that is comfortable enough to ride for a sub 10miles?
    I'm often working away and taking the bike with me is almost impossible: either I pull my suitcase with computer shirts etc or taking the bike (and a small backpack). As I need my weekly clean clothes I tend to get back with a suitcase which will prevent me to get the bike next week, etc.
    With a larger rucksack I could get all my stuff in there and be independent from London public transport.
    Any recommendations?
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    hegyestomi wrote:
    Let me hijack this thread:
    Can anybody recommend a large rucksack of about 40-60l that is comfortable enough to ride for a sub 10miles?
    I'm often working away and taking the bike with me is almost impossible: either I pull my suitcase with computer shirts etc or taking the bike (and a small backpack). As I need my weekly clean clothes I tend to get back with a suitcase which will prevent me to get the bike next week, etc.
    With a larger rucksack I could get all my stuff in there and be independent from London public transport.
    Any recommendations?

I used to commute with 1 of these before I converted to panniers:
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-60-b ... 72708.html

They're relatively cheap - sometimes the price drops to £39.99 or lower in the sales and durable. The one I had prior to this one lasted about 4 years, day in day out, 12-15 miles per day on the commute, being kicked about under my desk and under tables in pubs, being washed once it got a bit smelly from sweat. The only weak points were the zips - a couple of them failed - but the stitching etc was going strong til the very end. The only reason I had to buy a new one was because I got mown down by a car and the ambulance crew cut the straps :( ..... They used to have a 5 year guarantee, no questions asked but if you want that now I think you have to go to the next level up...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Thanks for that, I'll check that out!
  • I can recommend this back pack:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Targus-Drifter- ... r+backpack

Purchased it back in March...as needed something to carry my lunch, change of clothes & my laptop to work for my daily commute.

still got it & it is holding up well.

Price seems to go up & down on Amazon ( but at writing this post it is at £44.77)
  • Marginally over budget, but sizeable, 100% waterproof rucksack.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OverBoard-Water ... B004K6LY5A