spd or spd-sl

matt581
matt581 Posts: 219
edited October 2013 in Commuting general
So i currently have spd-sl but thing about using the mtb spd as its easier to clip when you need to quickly pull away at light or junctions. Currently I seem to always end up messing about trying to flip the spd-sl over so i can clip in.

But do the standard spd shoes have less rigidity? or am i asking daft questions?

Comments

• speedplay_zero_pedal_stainless_grey.jpg?width=458&height=358

Problem solved!
  • I use MTB style SPD on my commuting bikes - they are just much better for urban riding - less faffing getting in and out, and easier to plant the foot down. Use SPD-SLs for weekend road riding....
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • notnot
    notnot Posts: 284
    You can get standard SPD shoes that are very rigid. There might be an argument over whether SPD vs SPD-SL makes a worthwhile performance difference for people who are racing, but not something that would worry me at all on a commute (and if you're fumbling to clip in pulling away from the lights, that's not going to boost performance).

I'd just go for what's comfortable (assuming you've had time to get used to the SPD-SL pedals and still don't like)
  • if you're happy with the road shoes you have then get the speedplays...they're worth every penny!
    if you'd like a new set of shoes then sure there's nothing wrong with mtb spd for commuting
    bare in mind some hard sole road shoes take spd and spd-sl pedals??
    that way you can use a cheap set of spd pedals but not have to compromise on sole rigidity :wink:
  • if you're using a gps speedo and uploading to stava then every ride is competing!
    You dont get KOM's with a half arsed attitude :lol:
  • notnot
    notnot Posts: 284
    Though what's the evidence that SPD-SLs bring any significant benefit over standard SPDs? Then again, clearly I wouldn't get overtaken if it wasn't for my cheap pedals :D
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    currently have spd-sl but thing about using the mtb spd as its easier to clip when you need to quickly pull away at light or junctions.

Couldn't agree more. SLs are fine for the nice road bike that never sees traffic but for anything else I run SPDs. You get the added benefit of shoes with a bit of padding to keep your feet warm and dry plus the ability to run pedal reflectors which are a legal requirement at night. I doubt most cyclists could tell which pedal type they were using without looking at them.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    Stiff shoes + SPDs for all types of riding, no question.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    matt581 wrote:
    But do the standard spd shoes have less rigidity? or am i asking daft questions?
    You're asking daft questions ...

Find a decent SPD shoe that has a rigid sole and use that. Mine are Shimano M087's which has a raised grip too ...
    never had a problem with hotspots on the feet ... by the time I've done that far it's my arse thats sore!