Carbon seatpost - good idea?

passout
passout Posts: 4,425
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
Been looking at getting a new seatpost - lose some weight and possibly add a little comfort. Looking at a carbon Easton EA70. Use will be trail and XC mainly with the odd Lakeland pass. Currently the bike Whyte's own brand alu post, 30.9mm.

2 questions:
    Will I notice any difference at all in comfort? Do you really think its more likely to fail compared to alu? Plenty seem to think so.
'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    it can be an expensive way to save a few grams - what does your current saddle and seatpost weigh in at.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I have a EC70 carbon seatpost on my Anthem and a Truvativ carbon post on the Scott, you don't notice anything to be honest it just saves weight, I race both of them XC and they have been through jumps, drops and crashes with no problems and I don't have any concerns. You will notice carbon bars more than seatposts.
  • passout
    POAH wrote:
    it can be an expensive way to save a few grams - what does your current saddle and seatpost weigh in at.

Good question. Actually not too sure. This is in anticpation of a new bike that I will be riding as soon as it arrives & want to get right - 2012 Whyte 905: http://www.whytebikes.com/2012/bike_pag ... W-1-012-12 Can't find any detailed info on finishing kit. Will obviously have a look before making any decisions. Thinking their own brand stuff is pretty standard mid weight alu.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • passout
    WindyG wrote:
    I have a EC70 carbon seatpost on my Anthem and a Truvativ carbon post on the Scott, you don't notice anything to be honest it just saves weight, I race both of them XC and they have been through jumps, drops and crashes with no problems and I don't have any concerns. You will notice carbon bars more than seatposts.

Interesting this as opinion seems split if you go through the net, but I guess if you've just spent some money on something you are more likely to perceive a benefit? Do you think you'd notice more on a hardtail?

Obviously I'll be sorting my tyres out first by the way.
  • WindyG
    Didn't notice any difference on my hardtail, I'm not a heavy rider maybe heavier people notice the difference more.
    It should be way down your list of things to change anyway even if you were looking to trim off some bike weight.
  • poah
    depends if you put a road CF post on the bike. a strong MTB CF post won't be stupidly light
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Err the EA70 is ally, the EC70 Carbon (hint-clue in the name!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Penylope
    Penylope Posts: 320
    It also depends on how stiff the current post is, try it first.
    I went from a Thompson Elite post to a RaceFace Next Carbon post on my hardtail, massive difference in comfort! weight not so noticeable on the bike.
    MTB's, SC Blur LTc & Cotic Soul (26" definitely aint dead!).
    Other, Genesis Croix De Fer
  • WindyG wrote:

Sorry to hi-jack the post but I'm thinking about getting carbon bars - definitely worthwhile?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    briefcasew wrote:
    WindyG wrote:

Sorry to hi-jack the post but I'm thinking about getting carbon bars - definitely worthwhile?
    They will probably make a rubbish seat post.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've got CF bars (easton haven) and have had a carbon seatpost in the past.

TBH, I can't really tell any difference in comfort with either. The seatpost was on a HT, you'd notice it even less on a FS.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    passout wrote:
    Been looking at getting a new seatpost - lose some weight and possibly add a little comfort. Looking at a carbon Easton EA70. Use will be trail and XC mainly with the odd Lakeland pass. Currently the bike Whyte's own brand alu post, 30.9mm.

2 questions:
      Will I notice any difference at all in comfort? Do you really think its more likely to fail compared to alu? Plenty seem to think so.
    top tip when using a carbon seat post. get a smaller on and use a shim. saves any scratches on the post when adjusting it and keeps it away from any sharps that might be down the tube.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • passout
    Interesting - thanks.
  • WindyG
    briefcasew wrote:
    WindyG wrote:

In my opinion yes, I have Easton EC70 bars, they do smooth out some of the vibrations and the weight saving was good enough mine weigh 155g
  • I just received one of these today, bargain IMHO :D
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/easton-haven-mt ... at-post-1/
    Winter/Training: Trek 1.9
    TT: Planet X Stealth Pro with extra carbon bling!
    MTB: Trek Fuel EX6 + GIANT XTC 29er
    Race: LOOK 595
    Fixie: Dolan
    http://www.bmycharity.com/AberfeldyMidd ... eTriathlon
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    top tip when using a carbon seat post. get a smaller on and use a shim. saves any scratches on the post when adjusting it and keeps it away from any sharps that might be down the tube.

Except certain manufacturers will void warranties if using a shim, particularly as they can be quite short and leave the seat tube/top tube junction insufficiently supported (long thread on STW about a broken Devinci recently). I can't say I found my post scratched any less when using a shim, but then I'm not one for ever moving my seatpost.

The EC70 isn't a particularly light post, if you want a new post why not, but weight savings will be small.
  • poah
    marshy01uk wrote:
    I just received one of these today, bargain IMHO :D

that's actually heavier than my alu seat post
  • Heavier or not it's still lighter than my stock one which was too short in the first place, and it's still a great price for an Easton carbon seat post...£33!!! As for saving weight, in my experience the difference of 10 or so grams will have absolutely no bearing on performance......
  • POAH not hijacking the OP but notice ur from Glasgow, any good single track/XC you can recommend over your way?
  • passout
    marshy01uk wrote:
    Heavier or not it's still lighter than my stock one which was too short in the first place, and it's still a great price for an Easton carbon seat post...£33!!! As for saving weight, in my experience the difference of 10 or so grams will have absolutely no bearing on performance......

That is cheap - thanks, I will wait until I've been out on the bike though in case I want to alter the off set (10mm as is).
  • My original seat post was set back 20mm, I have to say having a zero set back has given me a better saddle position when climbing and is a little easier on the technical downhill stuff to get back off the saddle.
  • poah
    it sucks for us odd shaped people that can't use a straight post or I'd have been able to get a cheaper post :(
  • passout
    marshy01uk wrote:
    I just received one of these today, bargain IMHO :D

FYI - sold out now.
  • Wouldn't surprise me if a bike shop or individual bought the whole lot of them (they did have 10+ stock left) to make a nice profit....