Helmet for an 8 year old boy

dynamiccoins
dynamiccoins Posts: 65
edited October 2013 in Family & kids cycling forum
Hi,

My 8 year old son has grown out of this Halfords bought helmet and I'd like to get him a decent one (that doesn't cost too much).

Any recommendations - does it make that much difference as long as this fit at this stage?

Thanks

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    One that fits and doesn't cost too much.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Thanks for the replies.

I have to say the one criteria was the colour - red! And I just found this - http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/HEM ... uth_helmet which looks good, so I am going to get that.

Thanks
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Good find... I'd echo the 'one that fits and doesn't cost too much', but I'd add 'one that they will be happy to wear'.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • oh well i got the helmet - i like it but its a really small fit so way to small....and is going back.

Bit gutted as I like it....but it looks to me like it would fit a 3 year old!
  • There's no substitute for trying on in store. Also, would you like your head to be in a cheap helmet if you came off your bike? (although you could say it's still better than nothing)

I purchased my little boy a Giro Flume that has an adjustable fit (looks like they go up to 57cm), you can pick them up for about £25 and they're outstanding
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    There's no substitute for trying on in store. Also, would you like your head to be in a cheap helmet if you came off your bike? (although you could say it's still better than nothing)

I purchased my little boy a Giro Flume that has an adjustable fit (looks like they go up to 57cm), you can pick them up for about £25 and they're outstanding

Both my two children have had a Giro Flume and they were great helmets. Good price and not too heavy.

Weight is an issue many don't consider with kids helmets. I've seen some children riding with really heavy BMX style helmets and you can see their heads wobbling with the weight. Children don't need a helmet with a think out plastic layer -- a 'standard' adult version in a small size is fine.

My son has just moved to a Giro Savant which is really light, has great protection, and aero!
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Not something I'd ever buy without trying on first.

Recently replaced both kids' first helmets with Specialized Flash from LBS. Very adjustable, fit great and enough choice of colours for both to find one they like :D
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.