Upgrading Gears

Scotty-Gee
Scotty-Gee Posts: 156
edited October 2013 in Workshop
I have an old bike which originally came with 16 speed, i've since upgraded multiple items on this bike including Rotor Q rings, new BB, Vision TT bars and I put on a 9 speed cassette. Since I have aero bars I put on bar end shifters and run these in friction mode to changing isn't dependent on the clicks. Friction mode seems to work well for me when you get used to it and it means you can change down super quick.

Now I have multiple wheels it would be nice if I could keep 10 speed cassettes on all of these and chop and change accordingly- so if I wanted to upgrade my new found TT bike to run a 10 speed setup would I need to change the derailleur or will the current one have enough throw in it? Is it just a case of moving the limits a little to suit?

Also will my original wheels (which had an 8 speed cassette) fit a 10 speed cassette? This would allow me to change between aero wheels, good wheels and cheap winter wheels without any hassle.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• SpBarks
    SpBarks Posts: 21
    I believe that the 8 speed chain will be too wide for a 10 speed cassette. Also the gate on your front deraillier might be too wide so even if it moves enough to change chainring it could move too far sending the chain into your frame.